Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mork calling Jimybob, are you out there Jimybob.
Techincal time again.
My 1.8 8v, went through the last full tank of petrol, as if it was snoring cocaine, 245miles to a full tank, as opposed to a norm of 320-330miles eek! . I had my suspicions. The Lambda. Rang the local Alfa"Oh so Helpful" :rolleyes: Dealer, but he couldn't see me till late tomorrow. Now I'm not the most patient of owners, so I approached the Local Bosch Agent who done an Emission test on the exhaust.

The figures are on average;@2800rpm
Lambda 1.054
CO: Lowest reading was 0.374%, Average 0.480%
HC:118ppm

|Now according to the NCT report(MOT) I had done on the car last year, these figures are all bar the HC, outside the tolorences.

The only reason I am putting all this info towards you is the last time I brought the car to the main dealer the Diagnostic couldn't read any thing off the car. :mad:
Would you change the oxygen sensor on the above info. alone?

Is the Bosch replacement unit the same as the original, or what have the rest of the guys used in the past. BTW the car has covered the 82K miles - was it due a new one? :confused:

G

·
its not far out..if the car was nice and hot and had a good run before the test then i would also suspect the lambda if you get the chance put it back on the emmissions tester and unplug the lambda sensor if it shoots down the lambda is at fault (works on fiats) could also be the ever popular temp sensor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jimybob, for coming back so soon. I hope to drop back into the the garage tomorrow.

Regards,
Dermot wink

G

·
Daft question guys...where does the lambda probe plug into ??? I see lots of plugs under the bonnet and I disconnected the one I thought was the probe doofer, but the car didn't start. Can't be arsed going under the car and tracing the wire etc.

Marlon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beside the ABS unit Marlon - Jimybob I had no luck with the local Alfa dealer today - couldn't get the computer to connect. Rang a guy in dublin, who told me to check the fuse and the heater wire voltage and the fluctation voltage on the black. Fuse is fine. Were do I get the probes of the multimeter into the wire to get a reading. It seams to be sealed all the way back to the multiplugs?

Dermot

G

·
Thanks Dermot
I still have a question though (I'm stupid). Beside the ABS unit is a yellow tube shaped connector with 2 prongs when you pull it apart. This is the only plug near my ABS unit. The problem is.....there is an identical plug at the other side of the engine bay, like a mirror image.

Aaaaaaaaaargh !!!

Marlon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Marlon. I think they have sometimes to do with interior lighting. There are two black multiplugs clipped into the front of the ABS black box. Each has a metal spring clip in it. The two join back into one wire about 4cm down and feed down to the subframe and back to the sensor.

Anyone any ideas on getting the voltage readings???? :confused:

Regards,
Dermot

G

·
no no no the yellow plugs on each side are for the ABS..i use a probe(multimeter)with sharp points on it so you can push it into the wires without unpluging..the only sure way is to follow the leads i think it plugs into another lead maybe with two connectors somewhere over the gearbox area.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Jimybob,
Just done the voltage test on the multiplugs.
Where are the results.

Battery voltage on tickover 14.37v
Two grey heater wires forr O2 sensor on tickover:13.98v
Black indicator wire:
Startup for cold:0.350v
Continue to climb stady in small steps of 0.001v till about 0.520v, the car was at about 75-80 degree.
The reading then became erratic jumping between 0.375 to 0.485 and back right up until fan cut-in.

When I pulled the acceleration cable the reading went down to about 0.230v and return immediately.
I hope this is okay.
Regards,
Dermot

G

·
hi dermot
jimybob is right,no.1 the car must be hot ie the fan must be cutting in.The only reading that is high is ur lambda read.Ihave all the nct figures in front of me.On HCs ur allowed 200 ur 118 ok, on COs ur allowed .5 ur .48 bit high but apass.On lambda ur allowed 1.03 so ur too high.NCT hold engine revs at 3000 for 3 minutes then take reading.Lambda plug is on left hand side of car as u look in small plug between the 2 fuel pipes + black caseing.ur cat cud be gone.
Alan
- - - - - - -
Keep her clean

·
Registered
550 Posts
WHAT MEASURE MUST YOU HAVE IN THE TESTER WHEN YOU FIT IT TO THE LAMBDA CABLES AND WHICH ONES YOU USE TO DO THE TEST?
REGARDS
JORGE

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I now think the Lambda is okay, and am now turning my attention on the coolant temp sensor. Got the Ohms resistance off an old thread, and see that Peter F. had a similar exerience. Can anyone tell me which is the coolant temp sensor to check, as the CD shows three??

Dermot

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Jorge,
Forgot to answer your question. I used a Digital multimeter, that could measure down to 0.001 of a volt(DC). To get the reading I first had to remove the large black rubber inlet hosing and the AFM, and then pull down the rubber shielding around the base of each of the multiplugs coming from the Lambda. Push the two probe of the meter up into the back of the plug and reconnected all including the black hose and air flow meter to done the heater cable test first(i.e. 12v) and then one probe(+) up into the other multiplug, in the black wire(the fluctating signal from the Lambda) and earthed the other probe(-) to the body to get the other reading

Regards,
Dermot.
Easier than its sounds - honest! wink

G

·
The coolant sensor is located at the rigth side
of the engine, above the the clutch. It has a blue
plug, and the sensor can be green or blue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts