Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second S***e morning of the week this week, only 8:30 and i had a road rage incident (but thats a story for the rant room). And then 4 miles into my journey my Giulietta looses power turning off into a street. I plant the throttle and wheelspin in as by this stage I am pretty p***ed off.

I think nothing more of it untill i reach the queue of traffic and as i am stationary the engine is juddering. The judder slowly gets worse the longer I idle and then the emissions/EODB light starts flashing.

It didn't get any better or worse on the journey. Anything other than Idle revs is fine and it still has all its power but pulling away became a chore as it had quite bad hesitation.

Got into the works car park, opened the bonnet and the engine is shaking around quite badly and there is a slight buzzing to the exhaust note. But as soon as i touch the throttle, even the lightest of pressure, the judder goes and it is fine.

I am hoping it is just the oil level. Last serviced in June by me using the correct oil (MA specific Selenia). I have checked the level regularly and it hasn't used any but i last checked 4 weeks ago.

I'll be well p****d if it is the MA unit as I have just done 30 hours of overtime and was looking forward to treating the car with some upgrades.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.

Checked the oil, top of the dipstick still. Started up again, the judder is still their but not as bad.

Think the goodwill is a no go. The nearest Alfa dealer from me is 120 miles away and I don't have full Alfa service history. The first owner got the first service late, the second service was ontime according to Alfa's schedule and the third service I did 2 months after the 2nd although with genuine parts.

If the unit has to be replaced I will speak to my local fiat dealer and get a quote (procedure should be the same as a punto 130 MA sporting afterall). If it is significantly more expensive than it should be then I will replace the unit myself and write up a "How to".

I do have a scrap multiair unit in the garage so if it is a failed/stuck actuator then i might be able to use some bits from that unit to repair mine.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What a crap engine this MA unit really is.

All I ever read is gripe and grumbles with it. Did they get it wrong? Not spend enough time on R & D and test bed procedures? Let it out for production to early? Use the public as guinea pigs?

AR and FIAT should be showing good will and replace the units for free if they're proving to be unreliable or not fit for purpose.

Maybe the MA is just a step too far....................

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
What a crap engine this MA unit really is.

All I ever read is gripe and grumbles with it.
Well, nobody's going to bother posting "Hey, my engine worked perfectly again today" every day, are they? You will only ever hear about the problems on a Forum.

If you think the MA is an unreliable engine, you need to cross the fence for a moment and check out what the German owners have to put up with... The equivalent VW engine was the 1.4 TFSI, and I wouldn't even buy that with your money.

None of this is any use to the OP, though.

I'd advise pushing for goodwill from FIAT, even without the second service being "official": if you can show that the correct oil was used when you did your oil-change just two months later, then you are following the manufacturer's procedures, and so it should be covered by warranty.

(There is a thing about not overfilling MultiAirs, though - is the level high, or just below the Max notch?)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Didn't vw stop making the turbo and supercharged 1.4tsi? probably an admission they get that one badly wrong.
1.6 Peugeot/bmw is a dog riddled with timing issues by all accounts.
My brother recently managed to get a refund on a 6 year old Toyota verso diesel- fsh and he discovered it had had 3 new head gaskets, all done by Toyota themselves under warranty, it started using water 500 miles after he got it.
So, yes, all manufacturers produce unreliable engines, it's how they deal with the problem-in my brother's case the car was inspected at his house and towed away, probably sent to auction and is now someone else's problem.
Now the proud owner of an insignia diesel with lovely fake walnut dash- asked him where the pipe holder was when he got it!
Up to now we are hearing goodwill gestures out of warranty on the MA.
Admission of guilt-I think so.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, nobody's going to bother posting "Hey, my engine worked perfectly again today" every day, are they? You will only ever hear about the problems on a Forum.

If you think the MA is an unreliable engine, you need to cross the fence for a moment and check out what the German owners have to put up with... The equivalent VW engine was the 1.4 TFSI, and I wouldn't even buy that with your money.

None of this is any use to the OP, though.

I'd advise pushing for goodwill from FIAT, even without the second service being "official": if you can show that the correct oil was used when you did your oil-change just two months later, then you are following the manufacturer's procedures, and so it should be covered by warranty.

(There is a thing about not overfilling MultiAirs, though - is the level high, or just below the Max notch?)
It's bang on the max mark when left overnight. After a run it is hard to get an accurate reading.

I know it is not overfilled it because i filled it. I drained 4l out and put 3.7l back in (the actual capacity).

Completely agree with you on the MA engine not being trouble. Some seriously pricey issues can occur on most german barges (1.2tfsi turbo actuators! needing whole turbo replacement). I accept that I was unlucky on this occasion.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Definitely worth a chat with FIAT or Alfa then. If the car's been properly maintained, the MultiAir should not be failing.

What age is your car, btw?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely worth a chat with FIAT or Alfa then. If the car's been properly maintained, the MultiAir should not be failing.

What age is your car, btw?
July 2010. One of few 10 plate Giuliettas and has only done 40'500 miles.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Also one of the first 170 MultiAirs, and the problems seem to be with the earlier cars more than the later ones. Definitely worth a try, then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your symptoms are identical to my sons 2010 Giulietta, could also feel it through the gear knob. New MA unit fixed the problem. His failed at 20,000 miles, 6 months after the manufactures warranty ran out. It was covered by his extended warranty (Car Care Plan).

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I remember when the MA was first announced and wondering how quickly problems would start appearing. Variable valve timing and lift is a dark art. Even Honda's old claim of no failures was very, very carefully worded. All they said was no failures attributable to the VTEC system. As VTEC is just hydraulically activated locking pins, there wasn't much to go wrong, but there were plenty of engine failures, and there were plenty of VTEC failures that just didn't cause engine failure....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow a quick google and vtec been around 15 plus years.
Pretty much identical to MA.
And low or rubbish oil is to blame through lack of oil pressure.
Interestingly at least fiat have avoided the catastrophic failure of timing gear and valves and pistons having an unfortunate meeting- unlike the Honda so perhaps some lessons have been learned over time.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts