Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
23,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S8 GTV - our two litre threw an end shell at 170k - bag of nails sound. I really wanted to get it to 200K.

I spent £1300 last year when the head gasket went and I took the opportunity to do other engine stuff as well. This time it would cost about 2 grand to put it right - second hand engine, clutch (it's done 140k miles since I replaced it) cam belt etc. I would use the local indy and they say 15 hours labour plus parts. If I was 25 years younger I'd do it myself (did with a Saab 99 Turbo - rebuilt engine on a Black and Decker workmate, outside, in the Winter). But - enough - I am not that man now.

The time has come to say goodbye - I cannot justify the expense. Since buying the Spider the GTV was transferred into Liz's ownership - she is now talking MiTo - ho hum.

I could break it on my drive but there are so many reasons why this is not practical - so I'll sell it to my local indy for them to break.

S8 GTV reg will be transferred to the Spider though - sure it'll look odd - but maybe I sell it on later.

8 years and 130k miles - I'll miss it.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Wouldn't be too sad about it. You have the V6 Spider. Far better 916 Alfa from any angle you care to mention....except perhaps (and only) going round corners:lol:

·
Administrator
23,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wouldn't be too sad about it. You have the V6 Spider. Far better 916 Alfa from any angle you care to mention....except perhaps (and only) going round corners:lol:
Yeah but the Q2 diff sorts that - really:thumbs:

Edit - I'm looking for the flashing .gif but I'm three computers on and think I have lost it along the way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine's just passed the 150000 mark. Did you have any indications that things were about to go wrong or did it just happen?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
When the head gasket wen't did you have the head skimmed? I've seen a couple where not long after having the head skimmed the bottom end has gone...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Nothing last forever ive always thought a 1 litre petrol has a lifespan of 100k and a 2.0 litre 150k.The diesel being different but the current 1.4 Fiat 500/ corsa diesel engines are giving way (or some have) at 130k.
A good low miles twinspark engine can be had at £250 but its the expense of plonking it into the car.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The only probable reason the bottom end would go due to head gasket failure is if the water in the chamber during compression knocked the bottom end out.Water does not compress.I also agree skimming the head is not related to bottom end failure.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Nothing last forever ive always thought a 1 litre petrol has a lifespan of 100k and a 2.0 litre 150k.The diesel being different but the current 1.4 Fiat 500/ corsa diesel engines are giving way (or some have) at 130k.
A good low miles twinspark engine can be had at £250 but its the expense of plonking it into the car.
Really !!
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same engine here but the 1.3 M Jet diesel Fiat Fiorino I have has a chain instead of a belt and I'd hope to get more then 130k out of it.
What does "giving way" mean when you speak about the engine letting go?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ive collected two 1.3 multijets where the engines are worn out by 130k. Maybe poor servicing or lack of oil but time will tell, im also suspicious of high output small engines and expected lifespan.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm curious about the 15 hours. does this involve engine out, remove crank, regrind new bearings and back together again ? Anything else ?

Cheers

JS

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What about just sticking in a complete engine and gearbox from a donor? Ive done the sums and it would be nowhere near 2k. Only problem would be getting a ramp although I was looking at this sort of place earlier: Welcome to I-tuned.com

I'm available for a day or two next week!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What I mean is I've seen a couple twinsparks where only a few thousand miles after a head skim the engine has gone kaput, thought the increased compression might cause them to fail or just be coincidence

·
Administrator
23,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not be happy dropping an unknown engine and box into it.

The head was skimmed after the gasket failure.

The 15 hours would include the clutch , belts and variator as well (I have driven 140 k miles on a replacement clutch so that would be a no brainer).

It simply is not worth it -the £2k is a guess but I don't think it would be much less. Even £1k would be too much given the age - sometimes you just have to accept that the time has come.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hmmm interesting food for thought, Jake.

Worthy of a 1am bit of mathematics...

If you skim the head by 0.15mm, you reduce the clearance volume by possibly as much as 812mm^3

New compression ratio would be 10.65:1, an increase of 1.5%...
Probably not enough to cause damage? But maybe...

Sorry. I'll go to sleep

·
Registered
919 Posts
A failed bearing shouldn't mean the end of the engine! As long as the rod is still attached, which as it ran I would assume it is, then there shouldn't be any major engine damage. I would at least have the sump off, take the bearings out and check the crank for roundness using a micrometer; if it all looks good, a new set of bearings, a sump gasket and you're away again. People get a bit paranoid about bearing failures. Because of the huge forces and acceleration on the piston and rods a tiny gap of a few microns can sound like a sledge hammer. Don't write it off just yet, give it a chance, it might surprise you :thumbs:

·
Administrator
23,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A failed bearing shouldn't mean the end of the engine! As long as the rod is still attached, which as it ran I would assume it is, then there shouldn't be any major engine damage. I would at least have the sump off, take the bearings out and check the crank for roundness using a micrometer; if it all looks good, a new set of bearings, a sump gasket and you're away again. People get a bit paranoid about bearing failures. Because of the huge forces and acceleration on the piston and rods a tiny gap of a few microns can sound like a sledge hammer. Don't write it off just yet, give it a chance, it might surprise you :thumbs:
A very good point and, a few years ago I'd've gone there.

Tell you what though I am seeing them (Indy) tomorrow and will run that by them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts