Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shares of VW have gone through the roof(up 150% monday and 80% tuesday) after news that porsche has upped its stake to 75%, with another 20% owned by part of the german state that left only 5% for everyone else to fight over. apparently before the news broke various hedge funds had been short selling VW shares, then when it did break, all hell let loose with them all fighting to buy only 5% of total shares.

as a result VW briefly became the biggest company in the world in terms of share wealth, even bigger than enron.

several hedge funds are expected to go bust over this.

N

·
0 Posts
Serves the hedgefunds right.

Gambling on a companies bad fortune and getting it wrong. :lol:

Good luck to VW. Hope the new Roadster turns out
like the magazine pictures I saw today. :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Serves the hedgefunds right.

Gambling on a companies bad fortune and getting it wrong. :lol:

Good luck to VW. Hope the new Roadster turns out
like the magazine pictures I saw today. :thumbs:
Agree with you Nev :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
How can Porsche afford 75%, they must spend a fortune on R&D with all the "new" models they bring out.:cheese:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
sounds off topis, but stick with it guys......

It was autumn, and the Red Indians asked their New Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a Red Indian chief in a modern society, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his Tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared.

But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea.

He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked 'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed,' the weather man Responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again 'Is it going to be a very cold winter?'

'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'It's definitely going to be a very cold winter.'

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'

'Absolutely,' The Man replied. 'It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever.'

'How can you be so sure?' the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, 'The Red Indians are collecting wood like crazy.'

This is how Stock Markets work…

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I had a quiet chuckle when I heard about the number of hedge funds likely to go bust by betting on another company being forced down.

I'm not too clued up on this short selling lark but don't they help drive down the price themselves and hope to induce further "panic" selling so they can turn a quick profit on the fall?:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts