Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, a lesson for everyone. Do not have a week from hell at work, a late night and then get up at 7am for an 8am bike ride.

I (i'll use the word stupidly now I've calmed down) forgot I had my bike on the roof earlier, and drove straight into a car park with a height restriction. No idea how I missed the bright yellow box section steel but never mind.

Anyway. Thankfully the bike damage was minimal and it wasn't my new one, and the car damage is noticeable but not horrific. The rack is another issue but at least that's @ trade for me!

The bootlid is an easy scrappy replacement and the scratch in the glass will probably polish out- but- I'm a little concerned about the roof.

This is the worst;

This is the other 'bad' bit;

And there is one more the other side, similar to the second but without the scratches.

I had that so angry I was upset feeling after I picked up the pieces, but life goes on I suppose and I was lucky I didn't end up with a convertible!

So- anyone got a silver bootlid, prefeably with low level Zender type spoiler? ;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad news, really frustrating when the car get damaged, can you claim against your insurance?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the support- just seen your tale of woe as well :(

As I'm 20 the insurance is already silly enough on the car unfortunately. It just wouldn't be cost effective to claim and lose 18 months no claims at my age!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Rest in the knowledge that you're not the first:eek:

Only when I did it there were three bikes on the roof, all of which survived. My then 166, however, needed a new roof, new rear windscreen and a rebuilt bootlid.

Hope you get it all sorted - you have my sympathy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rest in the knowledge that you're not the first:eek:

Only when I did it there were three bikes on the roof, all of which survived. My then 166, however, needed a new roof, new rear windscreen and a rebuilt bootlid.

Hope you get it all sorted - you have my sympathy.
Ouch! I'd imagine that was a writeoff then? I'm going to call Dent Devils in the morning as there's a guy local to me so that covers the roof. Windscreen cover should sort that out (worst case scenario is £60 for a new one) but the bootlid is proving difficult. A few months ago there were loads with the Zender spoiler...

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Ouch! I'd imagine that was a writeoff then? I'm going to call Dent Devils in the morning as there's a guy local to me so that covers the roof. Windscreen cover should sort that out (worst case scenario is £60 for a new one) but the bootlid is proving difficult. A few months ago there were loads with the Zender spoiler...
Nah, the car was repaired (very well, although it took weeks). An experience I do not want to repeat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Murph,
Really sorry to hear about you accident. I hope you will fix it perfectly. The first time I put a boot on the roof of my 147 for a windsurf equipment I slightly scratched the roof, which was about a month after I have bought the car. I was so angry on me.

I place one photo (luckily not of my car) just to show it could be much worse.

Good luck fixing it!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Think I may have a silver bootlid....but I know I haven't one with a spoiler......so probably not much help, really:rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's one reason why I don't like roof top bike racks. The other reasons;

extra fuel use
Risk of theft
Terrified of fiorgetting they're on there
Bikes worth more than car

That's why I bought a SW...

You have my sympathies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts