Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi had a Merc e class reverse in to the side of my car today just after the frOnt door dented the rear quarter and looks to have misshaped the b piller wondering if the insurance will fire the car off it a 2003 147 selespeed Im thinking the cost of the repairs will out way the car. Very. Very pi**ed off has any one got any info or ideas for me

·
Registered
65 Posts
had a discovery back into the front of our fiat stilo before christmas,smashed the grill,scratched the bumper,bent lip of bonnet,that was a 03 estate with 94,000 on the clock they wrote it off,they reckoned on 1800 quid to repair,still waiting for insurance cheque,will be a month this monday

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines got just over 40.000 on it also an 03 plate will be gutted if they write it off. Havnt got a clue what they wud pay out in it proberly not a lot and I dout if I wud get another car spec wise and miles for the money they will pay :-(

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I would be prepared for it, sounds like the rear qtr, which includes the door frame has to be replaced, which is expensive. A glance on ebay shows 03 cars to be selling for £1500 or so, so I would not be surprised. See if there is the possibility of buying it back and getting the repairs done by a mate or something, however the car may need a VIC test (roadworthyness after a crash) and will always have the stigma of being written off (Cat D, economic repair, or Cat C, more structural and needs the test).

And kill the Merc driver for being dozy/arrogant.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought don't now what the insurance lay out wud be guessing not a lot. Carnt really get much for that kind of money sad face. She was a gud freind for 9 years if she goes she will be missed. Does any one no any tricks to get more out of the insurance company will the low mileage have any bearing. First time I have claimed so all a bit new to me.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I unfortunately have had far too many dealings with insurance companies over the years :eek: What you need to do now is find as many adverts for similar cars for sale as you can and print them off/cut them out so you can show the assessor. If you put the work in you will be amazed how many you can find advertised at the high end of the price range. Obviously, discard any cheapies! Give the car a good clean inside and out, show how much you loved your car, a club badge/sticker is always a winner (I am a member of the AROC and always have a sticker in the car) When the assessor visits, engage with him, tell him about your love of the marque etc, let him know how much you cared for the car, FSH is also a winner. Never take the first offer, even if you only squeeze another £50, it's all money. They have flexibility in the price they offer, it's your job to get the best price!!

I have had 5 cars written off (not all my fault!!) and have always been happy with the amount I have been paid out.

Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank u for ur help. Cars being picked up on Wednesday by the body shop I guess they will tell the insurance if it worth repairing. Wud my low mileage help getting more from the insurance if it is written off?

Dave

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Yes the low mileage will help. Never accept the first offer from the insurance company as it will always be low. Find adverts of cars similar condition to yours and send them as examples.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I used adverts off Piston Heads to get the price of my 156 raised. The insurance company "forgot" about leather and the fact it was a veloce! Never accept the first offer, low mileage will get you more. What happened re the pillock in the Merc? Undue care and attention I'd call it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts