Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.
im looking to fix some damage on my sills this weekend as it has started to rust a little bit.
iv been and bought the paint for my car from Halfords so should be a colour match.
looks like the typical situation where someone has jacked it in wrong place and bent it in, slight cracks in paint on side of the sills.
just going to strip is back. apply zinc primer then paint over the top.
hoping to get a half decent fade in tho with the colour so you cant easily tell it has been worked on.
any tips for this?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine you could only tell from underneath , so I jacked it properly used some hammertie krust so the rust turned black and then brushed on some underbody seal

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
When you apply the top coat try and feather the edges a bit past where you are painting, ie sweep away from the surface as you apply the paint so the edges are thinner, and try and get a good coat on that gives a good gloss looking finish when its wet.
Do a couple of coats of top like that then let it dry for about 12 hours.
Once its dry get some 1500 and 2500 wet and dry and use it very wet, ie soak in a bucket of soapy water for at least 15 minutes and use a spray gun to keep adding water to the surface then rub the paint down to blend in the edges, use the 1500 to get it started then once you see the overlap flatting out change to the 2500.
You need to keep wiping it off to check progress and don't go mad but it will blend, how well will depend on how good the colour match is.

Good luck:thumbs:

Forgot to add once done with that use a good cutting compound to polish it all up.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
When you apply the top coat try and feather the edges a bit past where you are painting, ie sweep away from the surface as you apply the paint so the edges are thinner, and try and get a good coat on that gives a good gloss looking finish when its wet.
Do a couple of coats of top like that then let it dry for about 12 hours.
Once its dry get some 1500 and 2500 wet and dry and use it very wet, ie soak in a bucket of soapy water for at least 15 minutes and use a spray gun to keep adding water to the surface then rub the paint down to blend in the edges, use the 1500 to get it started then once you see the overlap flatting out change to the 2500.
You need to keep wiping it off to check progress and don't go mad but it will blend, how well will depend on how good the colour match is.

Good luck:thumbs:

Forgot to add once done with that use a good cutting compound to polish it all up.
:thumbs: top tip matey cheers

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have this issue as well but im getting it looked after professionally along with sorting out some scratches and getting the whole front bumper done as it is quite bad with stone chips

G

·
0 Posts
Just one thing it may need to be lacquered after paint ! Make sure you check when you get the paint.
Most modern paints used by manufactures and paint shops are water based so need lacquer to protect them . Just make sure you check first.
If you do build it up using light coats don't try and do it too fast and allow 15/20 mins between each coat. :thumbs:
Good luck show us some before and afters .
Do halfords make the paint up to order still ?

G

·
0 Posts
Don't use zinc primer, rust will come through in a matter of months!
Use zinc galvanizing spray instead as a primer seal before your colour coat. If you have problems buying it, contact engineering companies in your area and buy from them. One spray tin does the job. They use it on load bearing welds that are subject to the elements and must last for years without corrosion. If it's good enough for that, it's good enough for sills and floors ;)
All Alfa's were galvanized with a zinc coat at the factory so if you strip it in a certain area, replace like for like mate. Just make sure you get rid of any slightest spot of rust then do it right away;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi guys, thanks for the info, some very good tips there. here's a update.
I took all the rust off with my dremel and cutting disc and sanding pads. then I used the zinc primer for a couple of coats, ontop of that I added some filler to build it out a bit, more primer onto of that. probs about 4 coats, 4 coats of base, then it started raining lol. :(

so next time I get to finish it off ill be putting a key back on, another couple coats of base then plenty of lacquer so when I rub it down I have plenty to play with and hopefully get a good finish.

and yes Halfords do still mix paint up.

cheers

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Just one thing it may need to be lacquered after paint ! Make sure you check when you get the paint.
I thought that too, but the guy at the paint shop explained to me the stuff mixed up into aerosols wont need a laquer as its mixed with a laquer in it and will give a good gloss finish by itself to make it easier to apply, was a bit sceptical but did a fix on my front bumper and it's all but invisible to see the newly painted bit.

D

·
0 Posts
Same issue with mine, reading the posts has now given me something to do this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts