Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased a GTV which needs engine work i decided to replce the engine with an engine from an alfa romeo breakers

on arrival it has the rocker cover smashed and one of the camshaft pulleys is bent over, resulting in the engine being scrap,

the breaker has only offered me a refund if i pay to have it shipped to him and once he has the item he will refund on inspection, i have taken photos which clearly show the damage to the engine

is it unfair of me to expect a full refund and for him to arrange collection, based on the photos i have sent him

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree just wanted others opinion, apparently i am at fault because it was signed as undamaged, i wasn't here when it was delivered yesterday, and the delivery made no mention of inspecting the engine, it was wrapped up on a pallet,
i bought the car as the condition is excellent and one of the last GTV's a 2005, but with the hassle im encountering already i may decide to sell the car on as it stands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ooooooo you my be in trouble there then mate you should of looked brfore you singed but it's easy said after it's happened if you have singed for it as good I don't think he even has to give u a refund on a used item. ???????? Not sure though

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Only an opinion and maybe wrong, but.........I think that as they have been signed for as received, it would be hard to prove that the damage was caused by the carrier and not yourself after delivery.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I'd get on the phone to the delivery company and try to speak to someone, hopefully common sense can prevail.
How did you pay for the engine? PayPal, Credit card? They can offer some protection too.
Hope you get it sorted and don't give up on your Gtv, it'll thank you for this grief once you've got it sorted.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts
Having purchased a GTV which needs engine work i decided to replce the engine with an engine from an alfa romeo breakers

on arrival it has the rocker cover smashed and one of the camshaft pulleys is bent over, resulting in the engine being scrap,

the breaker has only offered me a refund if i pay to have it shipped to him and once he has the item he will refund on inspection, i have taken photos which clearly show the damage to the engine

is it unfair of me to expect a full refund and for him to arrange collection, based on the photos i have sent him
I don't know who you bought it from but if it is only a broken cam cover and pulley so you have these on your old engine so not that much of an issue and there is no way you should be fitting it without changing the belt and both of these items need to be undone to do this

End of the day whoever you bought it from would not have intended to send it to you damaged

Ned

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't know who you bought it from but if it is only a broken cam cover and pulley so you have these on your old engine so not that much of an issue and there is no way you should be fitting it without changing the belt and both of these items need to be undone to do this

End of the day whoever you bought it from would not have intended to send it to you damaged

Ned
While you might have a claim under the distance selling regulations, if it wasn't signed for as "unexamined" or any damage noted at the time of delivery it probably isn't worth the hassle.

I think Ned's advice is spot on. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem being it has bent over the pulley therefore the end of the camshaft will also be bent which is the biggest problem as my camshaft lobes are worn on my existing engine so cant be swapped over.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Cams tend not to bend - they break.....the pulley webs aren't that strong (they don't need to be) so I'd try fitting the pulley off your engine (having set the valve timing properly) and then replace the belt correctly, then rotate the engine to see if there is any eccentricity in the pulley movement.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts
Cams tend not to bend - they break.....the pulley webs aren't that strong (they don't need to be) so I'd try fitting the pulley off your engine (having set the valve timing properly) and then replace the belt correctly, then rotate the engine to see if there is any eccentricity in the pulley movement.
Yer I agree 100%

Still not good form to get damaged in transit but sometimes you need to make the best of a situation

In an idea world you would be fitting a new or properly rebuilt engine

Ned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts