Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have relied on the info on this forum quite a few times over the years, so I am sure you guys can help me out again.
Bit of a strange request this time though.........

Unfortunatley during the recent bad weather, I managed to skid on the ice and hit a tree :mad: and am now not sure if the vehicle is drivable or not.

I have a 2001 156 Selespeed sportwagon 2.0 Veloce and I have damaged the off side front of my poor car. Several parts of the bodywork are obviously damaged, however, I also managed to damage one of the components that is located under the headlamp housing.

It is a cylindrical object about 6 inches long and about 2-3 inches in diameter. It has an electrical connector on the top and it has about 5 or 6 wires connected to it.
I have managed to sheer the electrical connector straight off and there maybe some oil coming from it.
When I hit the tree, I heard a hissing noise for about a minute but am not sure if it came from this component or not.
I need to know what this component is and how important it is i.e. if it is only the air con or something else non critical etc. and if it is still safe to drive still so I can get it to a bodyshop for a quote.
I have a feeling that the cost will out weight the value and I will probably have to scrap it, but nevertheless it's worth asking them :cry:

Any help much appreciated. I am sure you knowledgable folk know what it is :thumbs:

Paul Barrett

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
If it is on the left side, it is the Selespeed pump, so no you can't drive it at all.
If it is on the right side it is the A/C pressure switch, so the car will drive, but unplug the A/C compressor to stop it running dry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David

Thanks for prompt reply.
It's on the off side - drivers side, so presumably its the a/c pressure switch then. Would it be that big ?
Also, where is the a/c compressor ?
Thanks for the advice so far.
Paul

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
A/C compressor is the belt driven thing on the front of the engine.
There is a single wire leading to it which engages the compressor's clutch. With that disconnected it will effectively disable the A/C.

Saying that, if there is no pressure in the A/C it shouldn't run anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts