Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our drainpipes has slipped downwards, so its weight is carried by the bottom lip touching the floor. This leads to the top being close to departing the connection to the gutter.

I can lift the pipe by hand to be in the right place - but what is supposed to hold the pipe in place? Is it that the clamps which hold it to the wall are supposed to be tight enough to hold it by friction? Are are they supposed to be glued into the clamps?

The bottom clamp is broken, so perhaps that's reduced the tension just enough. Got a replacement, but wanted to check if I need to take any specific action when replacing.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Should push together. Try wrapping a turn or two of insulation tape on the pipe and then push together for a tighter fit.

·
Super Moderator
44,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it stands it's very loose. But perhaps adding the new clamp will make all the difference. I'll report back!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The wall bracket should hold it up. Note they do NOT hold the pipe tight to the wall so grip by ensuring the legs are close enough together to grip the sides of the down pipe. You may need to check that the other brackets are correctly positioned.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I just drill a small hole and hold it in place with a small self tapper.

·
Super Moderator
44,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad idea if it doesn't hold it's own weight. :)

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Yes, the clamps should support the weight of the downpipe, so replace any broken ones. For the lowest clamps, put a self-tapper through the clamp, into the downpipe for additional support.

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts