Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a 2013 G Sportiva with all the goodies except DAB radio.

I am wondering if this can be retrofitted?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I installed that kit myself. Not hard - the dash panel comes off first, possibly held in by screw located under grommet at front of roof of glovebox (it is deep set in there - check with a mirror!) then access 4 head unit mounting bolts. Unit pulls out & you're there. I replaced my roof aerial and got good reception, no experience of windscreen version.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Which roof antenna did you use? Was it a case of replacing the lot or just the whip part?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I settled for a cheap portable unit for £25 and an aux cable that I routed into the aux port in the glovebox. The signal is perfect without an aerial. That built in unit does look good however, especially if it displays text on the original headset.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed that kit myself. Not hard - the dash panel comes off first, possibly held in by screw located under grommet at front of roof of glovebox (it is deep set in there - check with a mirror!) then access 4 head unit mounting bolts. Unit pulls out & you're there. I replaced my roof aerial and got good reception, no experience of windscreen version.
You make it sound so easy I may call on you for some hands on help mate!

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Which roof antenna did you use? Was it a case of replacing the lot or just the whip part?
It was the whole thing: there are power leads, FM signal & DAB signal leads to negotiate, so getting between the headlining & roof is a bit tricky. I did have to route the DAB & power leads along the passenger side door tread strips too. The antenna was from the DAB shop. It looks exactly like the existing aerial but it is a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I settled for a cheap portable unit for £25 and an aux cable that I routed into the aux port in the glovebox. The signal is perfect without an aerial. That built in unit does look good however, especially if it displays text on the original headset.
It is and it does work well. It just doesn't respond quite as quickly to the controls as the original head unit - ok if you just want Radio 5 live, not so good if you are a channel surfer!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely want to do this mod but I'll need some help, andypj I see you are in the West mids would you have time to help me out?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, from what I understand the autoDAB unit converts the DAB signal to an FM signal - can I ask is there any degradation in audio quality as a result of this DAB-FM conversion?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Also, from what I understand the autoDAB unit converts the DAB signal to an FM signal - can I ask is there any degradation in audio quality as a result of this DAB-FM conversion?
No degradation in sound quality! I would suggest having a look at things first - find out if your fascia panel is screwed in, check what bits you have, where they go & where the aerial is likely to go and you'll probably feel quite happy about it. See what you think first!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No degradation in sound quality! I would suggest having a look at things first - find out if your fascia panel is screwed in, check what bits you have, where they go & where the aerial is likely to go and you'll probably feel quite happy about it. See what you think first!
How do I check if my panel is screwed in? Where should me aerial go?

Lol sorry for the noob questions but I'm totally useless and doing these things myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts