Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The reports last year weren't that good......

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It's pretty amazing tech really. I just got back in after driving through a load of snow, it seemed to handle a snow covered motorway at 80 no problem. And driving around our local roads afterwards, now covered with a very slippery slush, it didn't slip, slide or falter once (although I nearly fell on my a55 when I got out of my car). I did feel the ABS rumble slightly through the foot peddle when I braked a bit sharpish (just to test it) and it did limit the speed at which I accellerated. But if felt safely glued to the road despite the conditions. So far so good, but TBH there is only so far you want to rely on such technology (it's not an excuse for going crazy in bad conditions - OK so maybe I went a little crazy earlier :tut:).

Another time when 'A' came into its own was the first day I had the car. I met a fairly steep snow covered hill and thought 'excellent, a chance to give it a go'. It went straight up (slowly) without a slip - after the initial wheel spin. I left the lunking old Audi estate following wheel-spinning at the bottom of the hill and saw him give up as I was just rounding the corner near the top. :lol:

C

·
0 Posts
Wot Blisso said. It worked well for me last year and I was able to go places friends and colleagues couldn't.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Just drove back from work. No problems in the snow and I live on a steep hill with a tight bend, but no problem again. Kept me safely on the road last year too. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I find my arse end slips from underneath me a lot at the moment in this weather.. I have an extremely streep hill I need to get up tomorrow with 2 inchs of snow (and still falling) at the moment so we'll see how I get on..
Also need my brakes replacing at the moment Eek!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
KimM, did you get your 'A' mode readjusted with your remap, or was it left as was? It would be interesting to know how well the setup for 'A' works after a remap.

·
Registered
461 Posts
KimM, did you get your 'A' mode readjusted with your remap, or was it left as was? It would be interesting to know how well the setup for 'A' works after a remap.
no idea chuck unfortunately. I bought the car second-hand and Mangoletsi have done all the work to it but to be honest find them to be as helpful as a fish out of water..... :rant:

A has worked quite well today but now I fear that as there is more snow on the roads then when I went out it won't be going anywhere for a few days. :cheese:

C

·
0 Posts
Just been out trying to get to a friend's 40th birthday party and, even in A, the car was all over the place. In the end we had to cancel, it just wasn't safe to go any further - it sounds like most other people have had to do the same :( It's taken us 90 minutes to do 15 miles and when we got home I found that snow/slush had pretty much filled all 4 wheelarches and frozen solid.
If you do have to go out in this please take care guys'n'gals.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Impressed with it last year in 'A' mode when we had all that snow and ice.
Just don't go mad and it just kinda works and does it's stuff in the background without you realising it.

The low front end acts a snow plough though!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Wow, some serious snow on the ground now and its still falling. Tempted to give my car and "A" mode a proper test tomorrow and see if it can make it up the hill now outside my house. Just seen 2 cars fail and give up.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
A mode works impeccably on the stock Dunlops , got around all last winter. SnoSocks stayed unused. Though that bl***y air dam scoops fresh snow straight up into radiator , so had to stop every few miles to remove it.:tut:

L

·
0 Posts
drove through the snow last night on the way to work and A was great, again drove home this morning and A mode for me makes such a difference, im very impressed, considering how many smashes i went to last night lol.

·
Registered
760 Posts
also tried out A mode last night, scary bit was the snow was that deep and was un driven on so I couldn't see what was the road and what was pavement. I think A mode seem's to limit torque so you dont get wheel spin?

The question is a good one about remapped cars, etc. If A mode still works as I know lots of peeps with tuning boxes on the abarth punto's had to take the off as the extra torque wasnt doing them any favours last year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Impressed (with the exception of getting snow on my leather seats).
135MA TCT with Dunlop Sportmax 215s as-fitted.
Prior to the snows this week I'd engaged A in heavy rain and whenever there was a chance of black ice, to take advantage of the enhanced stability controls and braking. Disabled traction control seems the only drawback.
Journeyed 35m from Birmingham to Daventry last night in perilous conditions, with the nav taking me on sedate cross-country B-roads for most of it. Wouldn't like to repeat, but have a 'you must attend' occupation. The roads were empty and the car was solid, controllable and pulled properly, only two light ABS bursts.
This is the first time I've had anything with electronic aids; I did the past two winters in a semi-auto Fiesta which was almost undriveable and had only ABS. Prior to that, a Tigra auto with nothing, and it was lethal.
Very glad Alfa grouped the controls into D,N,A presets: individual controls would lead me to toggle and test the systems and probably smash myself up dong so.
Don't know if German, French, Japanese or Swedish rivals can do better, don't want one, don't care.
Thanks, Alfa.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked up my 135MA Mito last Tuesday, so haven't really had much time to judge, but I've been quite impressed - drove on some really snowy roads out in the wilds of Buckinghamshire early Sunday morning, slushy snow underneath more solid clumpy stuff on top. The car was reasonably well behaved - better than the Golf I had before (that used to just shuffle torque back and forth between the front wheels when it was icy - nice bit of waggling occurred and no real forward motion...). There was quite a lot of sliding about on the back-roads completely covered in snow though (as you might expect on pretty wide summer tyres). It did like to get pulled into other peoples tracks too.

Drove to work this morning and had a bit of trickyness setting off on the compacted icy-er bits when I had to stop on a hill, but no real drama, and all sorted out by the car fairly quick! Pretty good.

Worst bit was the office car park - the maintenance team were busy building walls around all the parking spaces whilst they cleared the main access - no way I was going to get over a 6 inch snow step!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts