Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder that 59 years ago the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan happened for real .

Scares me witless when I think about it.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Because of those guys we can sit relaxed and discuss our Alfa worries in peace !

In those days it was not difficult to see who where the bad guys and who where the good guys !
Today it's another ball game, your next door neighbour may be preparing a bomb or filling Antrax in an enveloppe or taking flying lessons only to learn straight and level flying...... :confused:

·
Administrator
46,334 Posts
Have you played Medal of Honour?
This also has a part which includes the stroming of the beaches. Now while the film was lauded for bringing home to people what it was like, the game was pretty much roundly slated. Aparently while a film can show you, they fact that you're taking part in the game stops this from being the case.
I found quite the opposite. Medal of Honour really brought home to me the terror of that situation. The fact that it was you having to navigate that storm of bullets, even in the form of the computer game.
As you say Rick, it scares you just to think about it.

N

·
0 Posts
5hit Rarebear! And I thought he worked in a bank!
Tonight I'll have to tackle him on the issue and demand to see his weapons of mass destruction.

Nemscom wink

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
And was wondering what some of my neighbors were doing up till 6am... :rolleyes: So the buggers are not smoking that ****!

Nemy I need your help here! :D :D

N

·
0 Posts
Don't worry Hugo, I have some fertiliser in my shed and using the internet, we could easily manufacture our own anti-terrorist bomb.

wink

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bazza:
<strong>Have you played Medal of Honour?
This also has a part which includes the stroming of the beaches. Now while the film was lauded for bringing home to people what it was like, the game was pretty much roundly slated. Aparently while a film can show you, they fact that you're taking part in the game stops this from being the case.
I found quite the opposite. Medal of Honour really brought home to me the terror of that situation. The fact that it was you having to navigate that storm of bullets, even in the form of the computer game.
As you say Rick, it scares you just to think about it.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bazza,

That's my all time favourite computer game level! I played that one over and over and over and over again! I couldn't believe my eyes!

Edit: But Bazza the game wasn't slated (got bad reviews). Au contraire! The game was voted as one of the best games of last year!

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Today, with broadband, we can send everything through the internet! :D :D :D :D

But Nemy... Even fertilizer?! Holy sh1te! eek!

·
Administrator
46,334 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>Bazza,

That's my all time favourite computer game level! I played that one over and over and over and over again! I couldn't believe my eyes!

Edit: But Bazza the game wasn't slated (got bad reviews). Au contraire! The game was voted as one of the best games of last year!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry Mel, I wasn't clear. It was given rave reviews by the computer game press, but all the mainstream press (especially papers like the Daily Mail, who love to blame the state of society on computers, TV, Cinema, Music etc.) complained that it was sullying the memory of the brave people who fought there etc. etc.
As I say, I completely disagree whith this, I think that if anything it brings home to you the bravery that was needed even more than Saving Private Ryan did.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Too true about the scenes at the start of Saving Private Ryan - really makes you stop and think and remember what others have sacrificed in order for us to be here today. Long live rememberance sunday, maybe some of the ignorant gun toting teenagers in our cities should think about that?

I couldn't help but think by what thin line of chance our lives continue or end and how Forrest Gump managed to get through unscathed!!!

BTW: The start of Enemy at the Gates is very similar (good film too).

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
was Forest also on Omaha beach !!!???? I didn't notice.. :p
thought he was taking care of his feet in Vietnam..
But in all honestly and after visiting Colville Sur Mere War Cemetery one can only be humble and thank those guys...

p.s. always be careful with a neighbour who claims to be working in a bank ! laughing

B

·
0 Posts
My Dad was a Royal Marine Commando and drove a landing craft onto one of the beaches during the assault. Although he never spoke much about it, he did did say that the sight of blood red water and bodies submerged beneath the water due to the weight of the kit stayed with him.
By the way I dont think that Saving Private Ryan was even close to what those guys went through.
ps. My Dad was not quite 18 in the June of 1944 and had an older brother shot down over France on the way back from a bombing raid over Germany, he was a Lancaster pilot.
I am Proud of the Old Man.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
My old man missed the War by a couple of years as well, he was in the Air Cadets and had a trip in a Lanc from an operational airfield towards the end of the war, only round the field you understand. I count myself lucky he wasn't born a couple of years earlier, he would probably been in the thick of it. What were the survival chances of Bomber crews, 20% ??. Living in my part of the country, I am surrounded by old Bomber bases, I think theres about 8 in a 10mile radius.

PS Rarebear, Your avatar used to be 'Fastest piston engine Aircraft' Wasn't that a Hawker Fury?

·
Registered
213 Posts
My father was in the normandy landings, they crossed the Channel in landing crafts.
He was also glad to hit the French beach as he suffered from sea sickness on the crossing.
Also the day after the landings was his birthday 23 years old.
The stories that he has told us about that landing are incredible.
He lost a few friends that day, he was in France for a further two weeks when his patrol came under rocket attack he was the only survivor.
He spent many months in hospital, one of the rockets hit a tree and pieces of the tree unfortunately hit him. He has wounds that are deep in his back and legs which are about the size of a fist.
However he is still with us, 82 and going strong.
A true infantry man.

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
WWII veterans sure have my respect. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Rarebear, Forrest Gump wasn't at Normandy you're right. - It was a little Tom Hanks pun I believe!?!

wink

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
But he thought Elvis how to move for sure !!! :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts