Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A good number of you will be familiar with my last outpouring on here : http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-room/194650-why-cant-people-clear-their-windows.html. In a true Victor Meldrew "I don't (*******) believe it" moment, it happened again tonight. :cry: :rant:

As before, I stopped briefly on the road outside my house to go and open my driveway gates. However, this time the lock on the gate had frozen up (we've had thick freezing fog here since Thursday night) so I nipped into the house to get a jug of hot water to pour over the padlock. It was whilst I was at the kitchen sink that I heard it - that sickening, stomach-turning sound of distorting bodywork. :eek:

My worst fears were confirmed when I dived outside to find that a neighbour from across the road (next door to the one who's visitor 'got me' last time) had planted his Focus in the offside front corner of the 159. My initial inspection of the damage led me to think that maybe, just maybe, I'd got off with just some scrapes on the bumper but when I got the car into my drive and turned on the security lights the true extent came to light.

The bumper has been pushed in far enough for some of the metalwork behind it to have started to burst through the plastic, and as the bumper deflected inwards it's taken the wing (that's the one that was only replaced a couple of weeks back) with it - not by much but enough to jam shut the bonnet. :cry: All will be fully revealed in the cold light of day and I'm not looking forward to surveying my poor bella's latest battle scars. :(

Anybody out there got any ideas on how to remove a curse? Or should I just invest in a set of automatic gates so I don't need to stop in the road? Or should I take the ultimate preventative measure and move house? :confused:

Oh, and my neighbour's excuse? If you hadn't already guessed - he couldn't see through his windows as they were iced over!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mate, I am gutted for you. Moving house sounds like the best option to me. It seems that your neighbours are all idiots.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
An exorcist:lol: so sorry to hear this, but on the bright side you at least know now how to get it sorted.See if they will pay for a new T-shirt that does not clash with the loaner.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm sorry but its funny what will your insurance company think your doing :lol:. Btw your neighbors must be right tools I'm sorry for laughing but this happening twice in a short space of time you have to laugh

M

·
0 Posts
Weld up your neighbours' gates in the dead of night while their cars are inside.

Seriously though, that's a really infuriating thing to happen once, let alone twice with such a pathetic reason. They have at any rate admitted to breaking the law, not that that helps you at all. Feel for you.

·
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.....what will your insurance company think your doing
I shudder to think, :(. As I mentioned in one of my posts in my previous rant thread, when my old 156 got hit whilst parked over at my mum's house, my insurance perceived me as an increased risk and used it as an excuse to increase my renewal premium by over 20%, :mad:. I'm with a different company now, but who knows?

........you have to laugh
Some day maybe, but not today. I've now had a good look at the car and it's not a pretty sight, :cry:. The damage to the surface of the bumper is fairly superficial apart from the 'blister' where something in behind has tried to push through, but all the panel gaps are screwed-up and nothing lines up any more, :eek:. The offside wing is touching the bonnet, the front edge of the wing is about 15mm behind the front edge of the bonnet, the bumper is sticking out beyond the nearside wing, and the chrome strip on the bonnet (with the Alfa badge) is now way out of alignment with the rest of the grille on the bumper.

I've taken some photos which I'll post up shortly once I can get Photobucket to behave itself and stop redirecting me to a site offering to teach me Chinese! :confused:

·
Registered
44,699 Posts
Claim off your neighbours insurance, if he already admitted he could not see out of his rear window because he was too lazy to clear it then he takes the blame and pays up.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
you are certainly jinxed hun...hope it gets sorted outhugz

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
It shouldn't affect your insurance should it? if your claiming off your neighbours?
I'd still wanna punch his head in though!
You would hope not.

Still don't understand why you have to declare(for three years!) that you've been involved in an 'accident' if you claimed off the other person and received a full settlement :confused:

Or am I just being a cynical here?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thats just unbelievable, twice in such a short period of time.

Some cars are just jinxed, or failing that you could always leave the gates open

·
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Claim off your neighbours insurance, if he already admitted he could not see out of his rear window because he was too lazy to clear it then he takes the blame and pays up.
Oh, believe you me I fully intend to!

It shouldn't affect your insurance should it? if your claiming off your neighbours?
You would hope not.

Still don't understand why you have to declare(for three years!) that you've been involved in an 'accident' if you claimed off the other person and received a full settlement :confused:

Or am I just being a cynical here?
My thoughts exactly, but when the 156 got hit and the culprit paid the bodyshop directly so it didn't go through either of our insurance companies, my premium still went up because I'd been naive enough to inform them of the bump the day after it happened to keep myself right just in case it all went pear-shaped later on in the repair and payment process, :mad:.

Thats just unbelievable, twice in such a short period of time.

Some cars are just jinxed, or failing that you could always leave the gates open
I've tried leaving the gates open in the past but as we have dogs, any passing canine sees an open gate as an invitation to come into our garden and leave little 'presents' for ours to find, :rant: - could start a whole new rant on that subject!

·
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, I think Photobucket is now speaking to me so here goes.

These first 2 show what appears to be some very minor cosmetic damage - scuffs and scrapes on the paintwork, although if you study the second one really closely you can just make out a 'blister' pretty much dead-centre in the side panel of the bumper.

This 'blister' is where some metalwork behind the bumper has pushed through the plastic, leaving a vertical split and some 'nice' spider cracks radiating out from it.

On the nearside, the panel lines look reasonably OK

Except that the bumper appears to have move slightly outwards and the gap between it and the wing has opened up

On the offside however, although it is not glaringly obvious from this shot, the wing is now touching the edge of the bonnet

And there is a noticeable misalignment between the wing and the bonnet at their leading edges - I don't quite know yet what is going on there, :confused:.

This misalignment of panels is even more obvious when you look at the grille in relation to the badge strip above it on the bonnet

It's as if everything has moved sidewards (and slightly rearwards too in the case of the nearside wing and bumper), but then the plastic parts have sprung back towards their original position more than the metalwork has. This is further emphasised by the large gap (more than 10mm) that has opened up between the bonnet and the offside wing at the base of the windscreen, in stark contrast to the non-existent gap further down the same panel-line

All a little worrying for what on the face of it seemed a fairly low-speed impact, although having had a quick look underneath the Focus, despite the outer plastic shell of the bumper showing only a slight crease and some missing paintwork, the metal structure behind the bumper shell is bent well out of shape. Oh well, back to the bodyshop tomorrow to let them have a look at it - maybe they'll offer me a season ticket? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Oh, and my neighbour's excuse? If you hadn't already guessed - he couldn't see through his windows as they were iced over!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
your neighbour may have just incriminated himself; Police can prosecute drivers who cause crashes because they didn't clear their windows properly.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
your neighbour may have just incriminated himself; Police can prosecute drivers who cause crashes because they didn't clear their windows properly.
Unless he's got a recording of it though its gonna be difficult to prove he actually said it :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts