Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for 4 months i'm having a problem that NOBODY can solve. Cylinders 2 and 3 are not firing up. I changed the spark plugs, coils, ECU and boardcomputer, injectors, and changed the lambda sensor today, cause the diagnostics showed an error on the last lambda sensor.

All the mechanics are now clueless. Is there anything else that could be causing the error? The car is just releasing petrol through the exhaust and the engine shakes on idle.

Please, anyone....I'm really getting frustated

UPDATE!!! Read this part

So I changed the lambda sensor again few days ago, and it worked ok for an hour and started shacking again (not firing fuel). When I reset the ECU the car works ok for a few minutes, when the engine is cold the car is ok, when the lambda starts working it starts to shake. Something is killing my lambdas really fast. Anyone?
I even changed all the wires on the engine. Its been 6 months and no alfa mechanic can fix it. :(

R

·
0 Posts
Is there any combustion at all in those cylinders?
Are the spark plugs sparking when screwed in?
If yes to both of these questions, then it's a fuel/air mixture ratio issue, or the pressure is escaping through gasket or loose exhaust valves.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
simple simon has the right idea imo.
unless you are really unlucky to have other compression/ignition issues on 2 cylinders

R

·
0 Posts
What about the spark plug leads? Are the connectors clean?
Are the plugs sparking?

·
Registered
277 Posts
got the same problem on my GT but only on cylinder one, with low compression .
i also changed all the coils and spark plugs still nothing changed

mechanic said the head has to come off to even see what the problem is could be valve or a head gasket issue , either way the head has to come off which is maybe £500 plus

and at the same time i might just buy a cambelt kit n get him 2 replace as that will have to come apart anyways

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you have a random missfire the simplest and cheapest check to do is a compression test before you go to the expense of changing plugs, leads or coil packs etc. Burnt exhaust valves are not uncommon but headgaskets don't generally fail unless they have been provoked (by overheating for example).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Head gasket blown between 2 and 3 for me once and also took some metal from the head whit it. I could still drive but there was very little power left.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
got the same problem on my GT but only on cylinder one, with low compression .
i also changed all the coils and spark plugs still nothing changed

mechanic said the head has to come off to even see what the problem is could be valve or a head gasket issue , either way the head has to come off which is maybe £500 plus

and at the same time i might just buy a cambelt kit n get him 2 replace as that will have to come apart anyways
If you read my reply above it may help. Leak tester on ebay are around 20/30. Or a garage should have one. It will show you where the problem is without take off the head.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm really sorry, but its the first and fourth cylinder :eek: My mistake
I changed the oxygen sensor yesterday and after the ECU reset the car worked ok for a whole day and today I went crazy again and started to shake and use huge amounts of petrol.
The problem happens when the car gets warm.
What the hell is going on???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there any combustion at all in those cylinders?
Are the spark plugs sparking when screwed in?
If yes to both of these questions, then it's a fuel/air mixture ratio issue, or the pressure is escaping through gasket or loose exhaust valves.
Hmm, wouldn't the valves rattle if they're loose? Could it be the that the cats are clogged?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pluged the exhaust, but nothing changed. a college from my country has the same Problem and cant fix it.
weird that nobody here had the Same Problem.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm really sorry, but its the first and fourth cylinder :eek: My mistake
I changed the oxygen sensor yesterday and after the ECU reset the car worked ok for a whole day and today I went crazy again and started to shake and use huge amounts of petrol.
The problem happens when the car gets warm.
What the hell is going on???
Crank position sensor maybe? These usually show fault when the engine is warm. Normally the engine won't run at all but a mate had similar issues with his and this sensor was the cause.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Are you have fault codes?
if so what are they?
All of them.

Does it rev abouve 2500rpm when the fault occures?

Do you still have all the part you have taken off?

Have to checked the cables from the ecu to the coils? (by tapping them out with a tester)

It might be a blocked CAT you could remove it and take it for a spin might be a bit noisy though...

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
You need fuel, compression and a spark on an engine to make it run. On your mis firing cylinders one of the three things is not happening. Compression is the favourite after the work you have already done. The head gasket blown between cylinders is a good thery from simon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my engine was once overheated a year ago. my radiator had a small hole and i lOst coolant, the temp went way up High for about five minutes (my temp gauge was broken too so i tought its it's fault). now i loose some water, Not much and i dont Know if its the radiator leaking or the head gasket.

some mechnic told the other guy with the Same symptoms that he had a similar case where the car lOst water and tgey had to machine work the engine head (no idea why) and the car went ok afterwards.

how can the gasket leak on cylinders 1 and 4? it makes no sense. i will Monitor the water consumption tomorrow to See if it rose during this Problem.

wouldnt the compression measurement Show signs of a leaking head gasket?
my compression was 12 on all cylinders.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
my engine was once overheated a year ago. my radiator had a small hole and i lOst coolant, the temp went way up High for about five minutes (my temp gauge was broken too so i tought its it's fault). now i loose some water, Not much and i dont Know if its the radiator leaking or the head gasket.

some mechnic told the other guy with the Same symptoms that he had a similar case where the car lOst water and tgey had to machine work the engine head (no idea why) and the car went ok afterwards.

how can the gasket leak on cylinders 1 and 4? it makes no sense. i will Monitor the water consumption tomorrow to See if it rose during this Problem.

wouldnt the compression measurement Show signs of a leaking head gasket?
my compression was 12 on all cylinders.

You should of mentioned this sooner. As mentioned above you have a blown head gasket, your going to need the head removing, head skimming, new gasket and cam belt kit.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you'd have given us all the information right from the start you'd have had an answer by now.

+1 for the failed head gasket

1 - 20 of 30 Posts