Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This not a rant, so please don't move it to the rant room.

Can anyone tell me the law regarding cycling on a footpath where it is clearly marked "No Cycling"?

Two mountain bikers got out of a white van - X1 CHB and headed over to a footpath. I asked them not o go on it, i explained why it was a footpath and in the end they cycled off down it saying "it's not like we're terrorists"

The footpath is on national trust property.

·
Registered
33,180 Posts
I find this difficult as I cycle with my children and sometime join them on the pavement.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 reasons why it is marked as "no cycling".

1. It is a mud track with no hardcore etc underneath and has a drop on one side of a few feet. The path is getting narrower as cyclists go along it, eroding it.
2. This narrow path has a couple of benches on it where people can sit. The benches are in the shade of the trees, but if someone was sitting on a bench, they would get hit by the cyclist. There will be people on them later today.
3. The path is beside a 1 metre high chestnut & chicken wire fence. This fence is the boundary of the cricket club. Every year the members of the club have to pay for repairs to the fence, either putting new posts in because the old ones have been hit and damaged, or having to put new posts in because the path has been worn down so they are no longer stable.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Legal or not, it's al down to considertion to others. The landowners (National Trust) for whatever reason have asked that there should be no cycling on that footpath. That should be enough. I don't understand why people think it's OK for them to disregard rules or laws that don't quite suit them.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
They are using their feet. There just happens to be a bike between them and the ground. Look at least it's not a bunch of hooded yoof's on scooters ;)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
They are using their feet. There just happens to be a bike between them and the ground. Look at least it's not a bunch of hooded yoof's on scooters ;)
You wouldn't say that if you had been run over by a cyclist when strolling along a London pavement. There is a full section in the Highway Code about cycling. Nowhere does it say you can ride on a pavement or footpath.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Footpaths across open countryside probably have no law applicable but even so walkers don't want to be stopping to move aside every few minutes to let cyclists through. If it said cyclists welcome hardly anyone would walk it. Before you know it motor cyclists would be saying it was ok for bikes it's ok for them.. End of path, peace and quiet..

·
Registered
33,180 Posts
cycling on a pavement or footpath in London is different to sharing a path with walkers in a park considerately. Some of the comments on this thread are depressing , from car-potatoes!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
cycling on a pavement or footpath in London is different to sharing a path with walkers in a park considerately. Some of the comments on this thread are depressing , from car-potatoes!
Considerately being the key word. The OP said there is a clear sign that says No Cycling. A considerate person would observe the sign. Surely that must be the issue.

·
Registered
33,180 Posts
Don't know the legal stuff, but they are selfish ****s for cycling there

"However...

Originally Posted by crazycarb
I think anybody cycling anywhere is committing an offence.
Originally Posted by lee16v
Citizens arrest and slash their tyres.
...I would call these posts moronic, but that would be unfair to morons. "

+1
Funnily enough it's people like them that make off-road cycling more appealing than using my road bike!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Highly emotive and quite contentious this cycling on footpaths. We have a leisure path near us which we use to walk the dog; it is also used by loads of cyclists who wish to avoid the busy main road. I have no problem with this in principle other than the moronic cyclists who ride on the path at over 20mph and then rant at you because you have got in the way. I politely suggested to one cyclist that he got a bell to announce his silent arrival, he said he f*****g well didn't have to have one, which is true (although new bikes must be sold with one). One day there will be a serious pile up between a muppet cyclist and a pedestrian, if it is a child it will be a serious incident (not accident). It should be said that many cyclists that use this facility do so sensibly. Wheeled traffic and pedestrians do not mix.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts