Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a bicycle and want to go farther afield but am wary of boot mounted cycle racks as I have heard horror stories about them damaging the bodywork. I would like to get a tow bar fitted to attach a cycle rack but am not sure if this would interfere with my parking sensor which was retro fitted. Does anyone have any experience of either?

· Registered
297 Posts
I have recently bought a bicycle and want to go farther afield but am wary of boot mounted cycle racks as I have heard horror stories about them damaging the bodywork. I would like to get a tow bar fitted to attach a cycle rack but am not sure if this would interfere with my parking sensor which was retro fitted. Does anyone have any experience of either?
Hi Mardy,
Try this link as there is a photo I have attached of my Dads mito with a tow bar fitted for exactly the same purpose as you, he has factory fitted reverse sensors and hasn't mentioned any problems.http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/228801-mito-tow-bar-bike-rack.html?highlight=tow+bar

· Registered
301 Posts
Was £600 fitted for an Alfa detachable t/bar a year ago or around £350/400 for a Brink, Witter or Westfalia. Brink is less visible with the ball removed but Westfalia has the best release mechanism according to my local t/bar dealer/fitter. I've not had a problem with it.

Fitted it needed two cuts to the underside of the diffuser but according to the fitter a template was supplied with the kit so made it easier. Socket is retractable so all that's seen without the ball is a small 3"x 2" cover. Parking sensors are unaffected.

I was looking for the least conspicuous without the ball fitted and reckon the Brink/Thurle is pretty good on than score. £396 including fitment.

Don't worry, It's for my motorbike trailer, not a caravan! :D

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
I've just ordered a 22.5 inch cycle (not a Mountainn Bike) and I'm hoping it will fit inside my Mito. I'm willing to take the front wheel off and I will not have anyone in the passenger seat. Does anyone know if it will go inside the car?

G

·
I fitted my own bar in a couple of hours. Only holes not already there are for bumper cut out, measure that several times before cutting and you're sorted. Bumper cuts with Stanley knife.

Got bar & smart electrics for £10 used off eBay!

No problem with parking sensors, though of course they don't work when you have something attached!!!

· Registered
762 Posts
When you say smart electrics? What do you mean, is it a universal wiring kit?

The model specific wiring kits for the mito start at £150? Plus the towbar in the case of the Thule brink your looking at £300-350 parts alone plus fitting.

You got very lucky getting all that for £10. Got mine for £70 but need electrics and never got round to fitting it.

G

·
You need a smart relay which works with multiplexed wiring, they're not model specific, and not hard to wire up. I found power for the relay behind the carpet on the left, there's a fuse and relay box for the back of the car... Each function is connected to relay along with supply and ground, then your 7 pin sockets connects to the outputs on the relay. Had to do same on facelift 156 - anything with bulb check will be upset if you don't use relay.

· Registered
301 Posts
I've just ordered a 22.5 inch cycle (not a Mountainn Bike) and I'm hoping it will fit inside my Mito. I'm willing to take the front wheel off and I will not have anyone in the passenger seat. Does anyone know if it will go inside the car?
Bike will fit in easy with back seats down and front wheel out.
I've even had a 250cc motorbike with no wheels on in the boot. Couldn't get it out though! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.