Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a village just outside Felixstowe.

As you come out of the village heading West (towards Ipswich and well, everywhere actually) you find yourself running parallel to the A14. If you want to go to Ipswich you can merge with the A14 or turn left just before you hit it.

If you do turn left you will find yourself on a narrow single track road with passing places. At the same turning, as it IS a single track, they have very considerately built a cycle track which runs alongside it but is entirely separate i.e. there is an island of trees between the two.

SO THEN - invariably , as you drive along you will find a cyclist either going your way or coming towards you. You slow right down and, as you pass said cyclist, they will glare at you as if you have no right to be there. Even worse, sometimes they travel two abreast and so you cannot pass until you reach the next passing place when they will just nudge into it to allow minimal space rather than help you then, again, glare at you and occasionally make a hand gesture.

My point? Why the attitude? - they have built an effing cycle lane for your use so why don't you use it?. I don't drive down the cycle lane in my car gesturing at you so why do you do it to me on the road when you could be happily and safely on your own dedicated tarmac?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
And they pay no road tax or Insurance and get preferential treatment to boot. Marvellous.Something is so wrong.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on this subject already recently?

You're right though, there are a lot of people that either ignore the cycle lane right next to them, or are just plain ignorant and chose to use the road instead.

It annoys me no end as well.

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
You should try cycling for a while on our wonderful roads with our wonderfully considerate drivers before you start bleating and opening up topics like this. It's not far off trolling if you ask my opinion.

Obviously, there are some cyclists who are tossers. They are human after all. My bet is that there are more drivers EVERY DAY on our roads who are careless, inconsiderate, wilfully dangerous, stupid and aggressive. The simple fact is they hit you with something between a tonne and two tonnes of metal and you stay hit. It's so bleeding obvious that there is such a massive imbalance in this anti-cyclist perspective - and the odd tosspot is taken as a rule because it perpetuates a stupid little 'them and us = war' mentality that exists for some people.

People state conjecture and occasional observation as "fact" without satisfactory consideration of balance. Cycle lanes can be brilliant, but in some towns (mine for instance) they're a waste of council tax. They stretch sometimes for 5 yards (not joking) and are then hastily (and in some cases dangerously) reassimilated into a stream of traffic. It's far safer in some instances to remain in the traffic (as was ever thus) and ignore the stupid cycle lanes (which, incidentally, are sometimes full of dog-walkers and pedestrians with headphones on).

There are loads of reasons for no using a cycle track:

- often covered in glass
- often covered in dogger
- if in rural/hedgerow country, councils are not cutting back undergrowth in some places
- often poorly signposted so non-locals don't know they exist
- often have pedestrians and dog-walkers
- as I said previously, often so short, or poorly thought out they become dangerous or impractical

In some or all of those circumstances it makes sense to remain on the conventional highway.

I wish some people here would get off this "get out of my way, small person" line of reasoning, which is essentially what it's about. The "they don't pay road tax" argument is a load of crap. They don't pollute the environment or damage the highway either, do they?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I cycle to work most days, I wished the drivers round here Gosport/Fareham/Portsmouth know that the cycle lane is for cycles and not mo-pads, buses, lorries, cars and everything in between. All the cycle lanes I use are either the red strip on the road. Some motorbikes use the cycle lane as an "under take lane"

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Just like the joggers, most cyclists round here are suicidal:(

PS. I almost lost my lower right leg through a cycle accident in 1981:eek:

N

·
0 Posts
What I don't get is people who cycle to work in +25°C and then spend the rest of
their working day in the same minging clothes. :vomit:

Cyclists have every right to use the roads. Preferably on cycle paths/tracks/lanes.

As a motorist I'm not too fussed about them really.

As a pedestrian the ones that really annoy me are the "Get out of my way!"
variety who use pavements to avoid one-way streets and traffic lights.
But they aren't in a majority.

:)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
the other night I came across a group of road lice

I was sat waiting at a traffic lights and they all cycled up the side of me then sat 5 abreast in front of me, when the lights changed they casually finished their conversation put their drinks away and set off FIVE A ****ING BREAST

I'm obviously in the wrong thinking cyclists have a confrontational attitude to their cycling...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Not this again.

I started posting on Pistonheads recently. The big surprise for me was that despite being the biggest bunch of petrolheads you'd expect to encounter, the vast majority of PH posters ride bikes (powered and unpowered) and even if not, very much appreciate the views of those who do. Bit of a contrast to AO I find, and it leaves a sour taste when reading here. See e.g. http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to...osts video of London road rage assault online

I'm not going through it all again, so quickly: absolutely no legal/HC compulsion to use the cycle lane, plenty of pros and cons to using one (in particular having to give way more often), two abreast is legal albeit often arguably inappropriate, only an idiot brings up road tax, and cyclists are not one unified hive mind mass. I think that covers it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should try cycling for a while on our wonderful roads with our wonderfully considerate drivers before you start bleating and opening up topics like this. It's not far off trolling if you ask my opinion.

Obviously, there are some cyclists who are tossers. They are human after all. My bet is that there are more drivers EVERY DAY on our roads who are careless, inconsiderate, wilfully dangerous, stupid and aggressive. The simple fact is they hit you with something between a tonne and two tonnes of metal and you stay hit. It's so bleeding obvious that there is such a massive imbalance in this anti-cyclist perspective - and the odd tosspot is taken as a rule because it perpetuates a stupid little 'them and us = war' mentality that exists for some people.

People state conjecture and occasional observation as "fact" without satisfactory consideration of balance. Cycle lanes can be brilliant, but in some towns (mine for instance) they're a waste of council tax. They stretch sometimes for 5 yards (not joking) and are then hastily (and in some cases dangerously) reassimilated into a stream of traffic. It's far safer in some instances to remain in the traffic (as was ever thus) and ignore the stupid cycle lanes (which, incidentally, are sometimes full of dog-walkers and pedestrians with headphones on).

There are loads of reasons for no using a cycle track:

- often covered in glass
- often covered in dogger
- if in rural/hedgerow country, councils are not cutting back undergrowth in some places
- often poorly signposted so non-locals don't know they exist
- often have pedestrians and dog-walkers
- as I said previously, often so short, or poorly thought out they become dangerous or impractical

In some or all of those circumstances it makes sense to remain on the conventional highway.

I wish some people here would get off this "get out of my way, small person" line of reasoning, which is essentially what it's about. The "they don't pay road tax" argument is a load of crap. They don't pollute the environment or damage the highway either, do they?
Yep totally agree, cycle racing is my sport of choice and as such I cover thousands of miles each year training and on the whole cyclists are treated badly by the UK motorist; this is really noticeable having raced/trained in France where cycling is part of their culture and cyclists are treated with great respect on the road.

As with anything there will always be the tiny minority of t*ssers and cycling is no different but we do tend to get tarred with the same brush!!!

I do think though that to a degree it's not so much the fact that cyclists are disliked particularly but more to do with the culture in the UK where everyone is in a hurry and if a driver is held up for 30 seconds it's the end of the world!!???

With regards to cycle lanes in the UK they are a total waste of time due to the fact that they are an afterthought and as such tend to put the cyclist in the gutter where the road surface tends to be rubbish and where all the road cr*p ends up! I for one do not use them purely from a safety point of view because you do end up being thrown back into the main stream of traffic without warning, so the way I see it is that it's best to stay in the traffic and be part of the traffic flow.

I am speaking from a lot of experience in terms of miles and hours in the saddle but we also need to consider that with the rising cost of fuel that more and more people are taking to the streets on bikes that may have not ridden since they were kids so therefore really inexperienced and maybe not confident on a busy road!!??

Cyclists not paying road tax???? Most cyclists are car owners (well all of the cycling fraternity that I know are anyway), me included so I do pay my road tax... Oh and I'm motorcyclist so I pay road tax for that too!!!!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Anyone that complains about cyclists not paying 'road tax' (?) should be forced to give way to anyone who pays more than them. Going at 60mph but there's a 4x4 at a side road? It's only fair you stop and let them out. And since VED doesn't even go on the roads, better let that chap on the expensive bike get past you - must be earning a fair bit to pay for that.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We used to live in the Netherlands where the law appeared to be very clear: if the cyclist was drunk, going the wrong way on a deficient machine, had a paper bag over their head and had no lights then, if they were hit by a car, the car driver was at fault. Mind you, there were lots of excellent cycle lanes too.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Here you can see what appears to be the road described by the OP, and here you can see the Google Street View car not having any problem with a cyclist: a14 - Google Maps

To be fair this looks like one of the better cycle lanes, not least because it's uninterrupted. Assuming it's clear of debris etc, I expect I would use it, whereas I mostly don't use my local ones. It's still just as valid to ride on the road though. Why aren't you on the A14? Why didn't you just stay in bed?

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
Next to the main road on my way to work is a marvelous new cycle track. It is always clear, and free of pedestrians, and is swept regularly to keep it free of glass, thorns etc.

Why is it then cyclists still use the road and risk life and limb? They also cause massive queues of traffic as people have to slow down to get past.

It really annoys me.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I walk, cycle and drive, so think I have quite a balanced view.

I have to say I agree with Paul regarding not using cycle tracks. We have a ring road near where I live that has a great cycle path running alongside it, yet some cyclists still use the dual carriageway in effect reducing it to a single carriageway for cars.

When so much money has been spent on creating safe routes for cyclists, they should use them!

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
I walk, cycle and drive, so think I have quite a balanced view.

I have to say I agree with Paul regarding not using cycle tracks. We have a ring road near where I live that has a great cycle path running alongside it, yet some cyclists still use the dual carriageway in effect reducing it to a single carriageway for cars.

When so much money has been spent on creating safe routes for cyclists, they should use them!
Lynn - so little money has been spent on providing safe routes for cyclists.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Lynn - so little money has been spent on providing safe routes for cyclists.
Hence the need for road tax for cyclists to help build and maintain cycleways for them :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If I paid, what, a tenner a year (I reckon that's far more than proportionately generous), for clean, clear, safe roads for bikes - yep fine, sorted.
We pay c£1k for our three cars & the roads are still ****. £10 per cyclist would pay for a mile of cycle track!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.