Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

sorry if this has been discussed before, i have searched the forum but need little more info

Basically my drivers side outer CV boot needs replacing as i noticed a small tear in it.

some people say remove the whole drive shaft by removing the 36mm hub nut. others say just remove upper wishbone joint etc...

i have seen that the knuckle joint (inner CV joint) has X6 bolts with spade type washers on every pair of bolts, am i right in saying the bolts are Ribe bits to undo the bolts?

i understand to use Loctite on these bolts and use correct Torque on workshop manual when tightening up.

to take the boot off:
am i right in thinking that the easiest way is from inner joint, ive seen in the W/S manual that there is a cap when you unbolt the 6 Ribe bolts, and underneath this is a Circlip holding the joint in?
Remove this Circlip and undo clips for boots and slide off both boots via inner joint.
(i want to replace both boots by the way)

is this straight forward as it seems or is there a few nightmares along the way.

Thanks in advance.

Chris :thumbs:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lacken156, thanks for the reply.

Quick Question... i am going to replace the hub nut anyway, but do i have to grind down the 36mm socket to fit into the hub? it looks rather narrow, (where is best place to get thin walled 36mm socket?)

i know that i have to stake the hub nut so that the folded in 'staked' tab is against the direction of movement.

G

·
i used a bench grinder to taper the end of the socket, also when opening the 36mm nut put the car in gear, & a vise grip onto the disc to lock it in against the caliper. be sure to open the 2 flaps/tab on the 36mm nut using a punch or old screw driver

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i used a bench grinder to taper the end of the socket, also when opening the 36mm nut put the car in gear, & a vise grip onto the disc to lock it in against the caliper. be sure to open the 2 flaps/tab on the 36mm nut using a punch or old screw driver
I insert a drift into the disk vent to prevent damage to the disk.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i asked someone at work about this and they said putting it in gear could bugger the clutch, i just need to get the hub nut on/off safely, but i'm struggling to work out (without any pictures) the Circlip inside the 'jam jar lid' cover when you remove the 6 hex bolts holding the knuckle joint in.

i watched a generic video on YouTube of 'Eric the Car guy' taking the joint off with a hammer for the outer joint, but from what i have read, i do not have to do this as the inner joint has a Circlip you simply take off and pull shaft out, is this correct? any images would help :D

Many thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey chopper chad, thanks for the images!

how did you disconnect the joint? looks like that's the N/S gearbox side shaft? i need to do the O/S which doesnt have that rubber bit in the middle (Correct me on what this is called and what its for), so i guess i can take both boots off by only disconnecting the inner joint... also, how did you torque up/ angle torque the driveshaft hub bolt? how did you keep shaft locked?

Many thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Chris
I prefer to remove the shafts and change gaiters on the bench. To disconnect cv joint remove gaiter and you will see 2 lugs of a circlip, with the shaft in a vice, prise them apart and tap cv joint at the same time. If you look at the second photo you can see the groove on the splined section where the circlip locates.

To lock the shaft I use small bar in disc vent which blocks against the caliper and tighten up as much as possible! See photo. Excessive but gives you a clue as to how tight they can be to un do.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Make sure you buy a genuine boot ,,,,,the difference in quality is very noticable and the price is not so much noticeable plus once its on you can forget about it for a few 000s miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did my outer CV boot by just removing the hub/drive shaft and taking the inner CV off.No need to undone the 36mm nut which as you've seen by the photos takes a lot to undone

·
Registered
27 Posts
i did my outer cv boot by just removing the hub/drive shaft and taking the inner cv off.no need to undone the 36mm nut which as you've seen by the photos takes a lot to undone
would you please explain in atep by step way how to do that, sounds easier, as i need to do mine?

·
Registered
124 Posts
would you please explain in atep by step way how to do that, sounds easier, as i need to do mine?
Undo top wishbone joint,bottom ball joint,suspension fork bolt,remove brake caliper from hub,undo track rod end(steering) and undo the bolts that hold the inner cv joint,easy peesy :p

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Not sure why everyone is scared of the big nut. You tap out the staking (easy, punch and hammer), then use a bog standard Halfords 36mm impact socket and a long bar to take it off. If you have an impact gun, you don't need the long bar. Get a helper to stand on the brakes if you are hitting it with an impact gun! That is not the hard bit....

I started my outer with the shaft still on the car, and the circlip is an utter $^$%^^ to get off (and hold off) while you get the joint off. In the end, I unbolted the hex bolts and removed the shaft. Much easier on the bench.

I should have replaced both at the same time, as I now need to do the inner one!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hi Lacken156, thanks for the reply.

Quick Question... i am going to replace the hub nut anyway, but do i have to grind down the 36mm socket to fit into the hub? it looks rather narrow, (where is best place to get thin walled 36mm socket?)

i know that i have to stake the hub nut so that the folded in 'staked' tab is against the direction of movement.

Will this be thin enough??

Halfords | Halfords Professional Impact Socket 36mm 1/2" Drive

These will but very expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-414...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ea98f4212

I need one myself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good luck.
Oily hasnt explained the hard bit. The circlip is a b****. Much easier to do on the bench as somebody has already mentioned.
Ok,there's a circlip buried in grease on the end of the driveshaft but what's hard about taking a circlip off when the driveshaft/hub are removed :confused:
Think you need to read the thread again :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts