Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
I'm all for cheap fixes mate as many on here will attest to;)

However I have had experience of these when working at a dealership... A rep brought these items in to show us and we all thought it was a good idea, saves time right?

We tested them. Ripped three trying to get them over the cone and onto the joint. They are thinner than standard boots in order to stretch but that doesn't bode well when a stone gets between the ribs and tears them up when turning the wheel. At least with standard boots the thicker rubber helps this.
We found that the smaller hole went loose after we finally managed without ripping them and the cable tie just folded the excess over when nipped up, so not offering a good seal against the shaft!
Once filled with grease, because it was flimsy and thin, it dropped downwards with the weight of grease alone:rolleyes:
As my old head technician said to the rep "have you got another job son, cos these a furkin shc!te":rolleyes::D

They may have improved over the years, but since it eBay, I very much doubt it mate;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok mate thanks,
so they are not too good to invest money in

·
Registered
513 Posts
In my experience the split boots you wrap round then glue aren't up to much either, they take about as long to fit as they last...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Have to say I've used them a couple of times in the past. Once on my old Rover 825 and the other time my daughter's Megane....and they were fine.

Admittedly the securing bands that come with them are rubbish, but you can get bands made by Laser and the tool for fitting them cheaply enough.

As mentioned stay well away from the glue types, they really are useless.

Good luck

Pub

1 - 5 of 5 Posts