Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer some tips for doing my CV?

It hasn't been updated in over 4 years, and I have reached the point where I need to find another job.

My issue is that I do a technical/IT support role, I have experience across a massive range of systems and technologies, but all this has come from hands on experience rather than training courses. For instance I don't hold any Cisco networking qualifications, yet work on and will soon be the main administrator for a massive network that has technologies in it that a lot of well qualified people will never have touched or had little experience. There is a lot more than that, but that is the jist of it.

I know you should keep a CV to two pages, but is the best thing to bullet point the technologies I support. Or should I go into things a bit more in depth?

The other problem is I have become so disillusioned with my job and both the IT and Broadcast industry that I am considering a complete career change, so I feel I need to press home the fact that most of my knowledge has come from not being afraid to get stuck in and as the buzzword says "leave my comfort zone"

Any help... or job offers in the South East appreciated :)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I'd be happy to help you, mate. You can see my email address on FB - send it to me and I'll give you some pointers from an employers perspective.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Nice gesture mate :)

Eddie, I'd seriously take up VD's offer it's like having a Dragon out of the Den on your side :thumbs:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Gosh. Thanks, Tony :eek:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Have a general CV by all means, but tailor it for specific applications. Use bullet points for the more generic headings, but also highlight the less common aspects that you have experience of with examples of what you have done.

The 2 page thing is a problem when you have a lot of experience, hence the tailoring for particular jobs. Anything else you think might be relevant could be in covering letter.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Graham, I had hoped to do it today but never had a chance. I really appreciate your offer :thumbs:

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Don't whatever you do is fall for these online jobsites offers of giving your CV a once over..

Absolute rip off :rolleyes:
They know exactly how to target people by giving their CV a negative response and at the
same time offering a service to make your CV stand out from a cast of thousands :mad:

As you can probably tell ...It happened to me :eek:

BARSTEWARDS

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Depends on the role you go for really, look at the job description and tailor your cv to fit what they want, if you are lacking skills or experience focus on transient qualities like analytical and communication skills.

:)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Thanks Graham, I had hoped to do it today but never had a chance. I really appreciate your offer :thumbs:
You are most welcome, my friend :)

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Hi Eddie, as you have said , you mostly have great hands on experience. If you can afford it, I'd get a few of the basic networking accreditations. Having had to get the CCNA recently after working on the kit for a few years meant less than a weeeks work, and that was just to ensure I knew the format that the barstewards would ask the questions in.
If you go down this route, I can recommend a few websites to assist. PM and I'll reply.
Good luck in the search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts