Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of cutting the crank pulley on my 16v so that it just has the water pump and alternator drive left. Will the pulley be more prone to fail after this cut off or will it be ok?

Reason I ask is that the 16v pulley has a rubber ring which seem to be going straight through.

I also have a 8v crank pulley which does not have this rubber ring, but it does not fit.

Are there any aluminium pulleys to get hold of?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have cut the front two pulleys off my 16v engine without any problems so far. It has done 3 years and approx 20,000km on the reduced pulley. I did it on a lathe with a 'parting' tool.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Banned
160 Posts
is there not a 'harmonic' function to this pulley? I know if you remove or alter the pulley of a 156 it'll lead to 'big-end' issues

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
is there not a 'harmonic' function to this pulley? I know if you remove or alter the pulley of a 156 it'll lead to 'big-end' issues
Yes - the rubber section acts as a "spring" for the outer section so that crankshaft vibrations (Torsional oscillations) are damped - but the reduction of mass by removing one (or two) of the pulley sections is relatively small compared to the mass remaining, so its function is retained, evidently ok by others reports on here. (I bet Spacenut can give a more detailed expose!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts