Alfa Romeo Forum banner
301 - 320 of 340 Posts
G

·
I looked closely at the C30, but what put me off most was the boot size/opening - It's tiny. If the C40 has improved in this area then it could be a cracking car. Does the proper R Design C40 use the Focus ST engine, or similar?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The c30 used to use the 1.6 out of the previous gen mazda3 (basically a focus with a bomb proof mazda engine).
Mazda moving away from tie up with ford now, not sure if Volvo still in agreements with them.
Isn't the focus st a 5 cylinder, Volvo use (or used to) use, 5 cylinders in their performance versions.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The design studio for Kia is in Germany if the salesman was telling me the truth and the proceed Gt was developed in Germany too

Ron, did you not like the engine in the proceed gt then? Did you have the tech model with reversing camera etc as that was the one I took a test drive in
I think the designer for Kia is ex Audi,mine was the normal gt,we do a lot of town miles and the fuel consumption in town was even worse,I reset the computer before a stint in town and 21mpg was the result,I don,t know about kia's engine tech being poor,but I wonder what tax band it would have landed in if they had fitted it with start stop,similarly what band would the multi air be in if it had no stop start?Kia definately missed a trick because they already have stop start technology available,the performance was excellent the only odd thing was that the car has over boost but instead of being on a sport/dna switch it was on the throttle position with a resistance you had to overcome as you press the throttle pedal,then it gave you the kick of overboost but encouraged you to drive like a hooligan to tap into the performance.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I looked closely at the C30, but what put me off most was the boot size/opening - It's tiny. If the C40 has improved in this area then it could be a cracking car. Does the proper R Design C40 use the Focus ST engine, or similar?
I was buying a Mito at the time so the boot was more or less the same size when I look at the C30. The boot for the G if pretty good and I can put things in it that I could only have dreamt of in the Mito.

·
Registered
170 Posts
snip

Re the V40, it was on my list when I was replacing the 147. It had some surprising flaws, though: I found the ride quality to be very poor on even the regular model (both "for a Volvo" and "compared to a Giulietta") without any real benefit to handling, and the driver's position offered very little headroom (I'm 6'3" and my hair brushed the headlining). Against that, a very handsome car, very nice interior and superb seats. If you like "firm" suspension and aren't much above 6ft tall, it's well worth a look.
That's a shame about the suspension. I had an S40 before my G's and it was superbly comfortable. Brilliant on long journeys. Pity that Volvo seems to have lost that in the V40.

G

·
The c30 used to use the 1.6 out of the previous gen mazda3 (basically a focus with a bomb proof mazda engine).
Mazda moving away from tie up with ford now, not sure if Volvo still in agreements with them.
Isn't the focus st a 5 cylinder, Volvo use (or used to) use, 5 cylinders in their performance versions.
I was referring to the C30 T5 R-Design when I mentioned the ST engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1000 miles on and 25 mpg is the norm .

G

·
About the same as I was getting from my MPS. Part of me wishes I'd have stuck with it now or got a QV what with the recent petrol prices.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Any thoughts on the new BMW 1 series - especially in M-Sport trim.

I was reading in What Car that they are the best of the current crop of premium Hatches - I haven't driven one though.

I didn't like the original but the mark 2 looks nice to me.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
"What Car?" are not judging cars by the same rules that you are: they treat cars as appliances, and rate the price of the lease and the softness of the interior trim over such intangibles as being fun to drive or looking good.

The newer 1 is good, but unless you want an engine bigger than the QV's 1750, it doesn't justify its extra price over the Alfa for me.

.. and, in traffic, people will let you out of side-roads.

·
Registered
590 Posts
"What Car?" are not judging cars by the same rules that you are: they treat cars as appliances, and rate the price of the lease and the softness of the interior trim over such intangibles as being fun to drive or looking good.

The newer 1 is good, but unless you want an engine bigger than the QV's 1750, it doesn't justify its extra price over the Alfa for me.

.. and, in traffic, people will let you out of side-roads.
Thats another Top Gear fallacy - people let me out in my BMW - especially if I start continually honking the horn :)

Seriously though I have read that the 1 series is very good to drive and handles well.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Any thoughts on the new BMW 1 series - especially in M-Sport trim.

I was reading in What Car that they are the best of the current crop of premium Hatches - I haven't driven one though.

I didn't like the original but the mark 2 looks nice to me.
yes the new facelift which is out in march looks good, has a front end more the the 2 or 4 series.

2015 BMW 1 Series Facelift launching at 2015 Geneva Motor Show

Not sure what discount will be avaliable but on the current you can expect between 17-20%, making the m135 similar money to the gqv

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thinking about a possible change myself now that I've had my GQV for 3 (trouble free) years. I own it outright so it will make a healthy deposit (WBAC offered £12k, so as a private sale must be worth £13k+). Can I wait for the Giulia and do I want one of the first off the production line either?

Giving the A45 AMG a test drive this week-end. It will need to be pretty good to justify the list price, and the best discount I can find is £3k. Someone on here posted about the rubbish exhaust sound, although the version I will be driving has the AMG performance exhaust (a £500 option).

M135 is an cheaper option and can be had for £25k, but not sure I like the looks. Towney - what do you think of yours?

Golf Type R? There is already one of those in my work car park.

No rush though - the GQV is still a pretty fine car to drive!

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
Thinking about a possible change myself now that I've had my GQV for 3 (trouble free) years. I own it outright so it will make a healthy deposit (WBAC offered £12k, so as a private sale must be worth £13k+). Can I wait for the Giulia and do I want one of the first off the production line either?

Giving the A45 AMG a test drive this week-end. It will need to be pretty good to justify the list price, and the best discount I can find is £3k. Someone on here posted about the rubbish exhaust sound, although the version I will be driving has the AMG performance exhaust (a £500 option).

M135 is an cheaper option and can be had for £25k, but not sure I like the looks. Towney - what do you think of yours?

Early on the discounts on the AMG A45 were £10k according somebody on here . The discount on an SLK is from around £7k which makes the deposit the same as I paid three years ago on my G and the monthly only £50 a month more !
Anyway Mercedes-Benz plans more power for facelifted A45 AMG | Autocar

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

I absolutely love mine. So much so I am going to buy another 1.

There is a guy on babybmw.net who is one of the sponsored traders, he is the sales manager at BMW heathrow and does crazy deals. Expect 17-20% depending on options. This will only apply for the rest of the month as they are trying to sell the current stock before the facelift comes out march//april sort of time. Let me know via PM if you want his email.

If you wanted to wait however the new facelift will have some tweaks. you can see some pics here,

BMW 1 Series facelift revealed | Auto Express

I do like the AMG A45 but the money is literally ridiculous.

If I was you I would also consider the M235i or wait for the M2 if you dont like the looks of the M135i. I would have to agree if you dont, the M135i really needs some strong alloys and the right colour to look good. BMW has a "performance" range of extras, everything from wheels, exhaust to floor mats. They cost alot but really set the car off. if you google it you can see.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The AMG Performance exhaust is just a lot louder, not better sounding. And the popping and farting I found plain juvenile on both . Like Merc wanted to attract Barry Boys! Is it worth the money? Not unless they make the chassis more interactive (it's hugely grippy but very inert) and give it a gearbox that isn't completely stupid!

The Golf is just a Golf. Never found out what the reviewers were raving about. Personally, I found the GQV and Focus St to be far more enjoyable at fast road speeds. Like the Merc, you'd have to be doing insane speeds to bring it alive.

Have to say, the refreshed 1 series is much improved at the front but why did they mess with the rear? Looks like the X3 now. The simpler lights were far better. Shame the UK doesn't get the X Drive version but I may try one next time around. Hope the rear footroom has improved as well, though! And it may take 6-12 months before the pre-facelift levels of discount appear but it does seem to be the best bet of the German three now. That engine is a wonderful thing.

Let's hope Alfa can produce a worthy competitor once the next Giulietta comes out, though that's not for 2-3 years. If it is RWD, the 330bhp V6 from the non-S Ghibli would be superb.

301 - 320 of 340 Posts