Alfa Romeo Forum banner
261 - 280 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Guilietta is deceptively fast, and it feels like it could take a lot more power than the current drivetrains offer. Valeo did an electric supercharger "concept" GQV that got over 300bhp from the 1750 engine... I wonder how it drove.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The Kia is OK until you get up close. Some crass detailing like the 4 light clusters and pointless vents. Kia have a better looking range than the Germans, but people still buy German. Same with Mazda. Now there's a brilliant range of cars, looks wise. Shame they don't make fast cars anymore.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Guilietta is deceptively fast, and it feels like it could take a lot more power than the current drivetrains offer. Valeo did an electric supercharger "concept" GQV that got over 300bhp from the 1750 engine... I wonder how it drove.
Indeed. It amazes me how quickly it gets up to 100 and mine is still tight. It's notvtgat much slower than tgevEvo.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
really Ali. thought the evo would have been pure rocket ship motoring. Its a lot more refined than the evo though I guess?

That's in d mode im assuming.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Indeed. It amazes me how quickly it gets up to 100 and mine is still tight. It's notvtgat much slower than tgevEvo.
The G is pretty lightweight, the Focus ST has 10 more horsepower but weighs a 100KG more. So it's kind of negligible really, also you don't really notice huge power differences unless it's a big increase like the next step up really would be the AMG A45 at around 350HP.

I'd switch if they released a Seat Leon Cupra R, 1350KG 300+ HP :)..

·
Registered
623 Posts
one car that does impress me, though i think it could do with a better engine is the kia proceed gt 3 dooor in white.

better engine as in more power. Looks wise i think it looks better than the G.
I had a pro-ceed gt,in white, a gorgeous looking car,and head to head it could match a friends focus st(the 2.5)in all respects and only started to lose out at higher speeds,you really have to try one,super looks,super build quality,and those recaro seats,kia's customer service puts Alfa to shame.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I had a pro-ceed gt,in white, a gorgeous looking car,and head to head it could match a friends focus st(the 2.5)in all respects and only started to lose out at higher speeds,you really have to try one,super looks,super build quality,and those recaro seats,kia's customer service puts Alfa to shame.:thumbs:
I think kia engines are a little far behind still. A mate of mine has one which has averaged 29mpg since he bought it. With almost twice the engine capacity and power mine has managed almost 31mpg since I bought it, with 45mpg possible on long runs.

I like the look of the kia thou, not enough to buy one but its nice.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
really Ali. thought the evo would have been pure rocket ship motoring. Its a lot more refined than the evo though I guess?

That's in d mode im assuming.
The Evo X is far too heavy. With the SST gearbox it was 1650kg so, even with 325bhp, it only had 200bhp/ton. The GQV has 181. Not as much difference as people think. The Evo was barely faster than a 3MPS and was enbarrassed by an Astra VXR once. Older Evos were silly fast but the X was a whale.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think kia engines are a little far behind still. A mate of mine has one which has averaged 29mpg since he bought it. With almost twice the engine capacity and power mine has managed almost 31mpg since I bought it, with 45mpg possible on long runs.

I like the look of the kia thou, not enough to buy one but its nice.
yep,have to agree there,27mpg,£270 a year road tax,and needs serviced every 12000 miles.there are faster and bigger cars which aren't as expensive to run.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Kia is OK until you get up close. Some crass detailing like the 4 light clusters and pointless vents. Kia have a better looking range than the Germans, but people still buy German. Same with Mazda. Now there's a brilliant range of cars, looks wise. Shame they don't make fast cars anymore.
Everyone has different tastes, Mazdas look awful to me from a design point of view and certainly don't compare with the German brands.

I do think Kia have a great design studio and are raising the profile of their brand with cars like the ProCeed.

With the G I like the front, it's fairly nice from the side but the rear looks a little bland to me.

I certainly think the mito looks more distinctive and is a more attractive design, more Alfa.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The design studio for Kia is in Germany if the salesman was telling me the truth and the proceed Gt was developed in Germany too

Ron, did you not like the engine in the proceed gt then? Did you have the tech model with reversing camera etc as that was the one I took a test drive in

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I have only 2 cars in my mind. I am acsolutely gobsmacked with a Golf 7R in blue or black. It has 4wd and has space and has German refinement...AND...it has a plethora of tuinng options available which to me...matters. The I have the GQV TcT in mind. Already having coilovers/wheels/Supersprint/spacers/Novitec Powerjet...I basically have all the basic mods off of my current G to transfer to the facelift...I'll be looking at this in Q4 2015.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Everyone has different tastes, Mazdas look awful to me from a design point of view and certainly don't compare with the German brands.

I do think Kia have a great design studio and are raising the profile of their brand with cars like the ProCeed.

With the G I like the front, it's fairly nice from the side but the rear looks a little bland to me.

I certainly think the mito looks more distinctive and is a more attractive design, more Alfa.
Just to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Best part for me is the rear side, with those "question mark" led back lights. Very recognisable, especially in the dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
yep,have to agree there,27mpg,£270 a year road tax,and needs serviced every 12000 miles.there are faster and bigger cars which aren't as expensive to run.
The proceed gt has emissions of 171 and sits in band h, giving an annual post year 1 tax of £205 at today's uk rates.
A multiair g needs servicing every 12k miles also if you want it to last.
Admittedly, co2 of 131 for the 170 is low for the power available, tax still £130 so not that much in it really.
Kia probably do need to clean up their petrol engines.
The gt is a lovely car, better finished than a scirocco even.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree Guili the golf 7R is that good i have one on order, really looking forward to getting my hands on it and testing it out on the scottish highland roads a big plus is the 4 wheel drive, a lot of car for your money in my opinion. :thumbs:

·
Registered
951 Posts
The proceed gt has emissions of 171 and sits in band h, giving an annual post year 1 tax of £205 at today's uk rates.
A multiair g needs servicing every 12k miles also if you want it to last.
Admittedly, co2 of 131 for the 170 is low for the power available, tax still £130 so not that much in it really.
Kia probably do need to clean up their petrol engines.
The gt is a lovely car, better finished than a scirocco even.
Road tax on my MY14 Giulietta 170 TCT Petrol SportivaNav is £30. £20 for diesel!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Best part for me is the rear side, with those "question mark" led back lights. Very recognisable, especially in the dark.
On some "glossy" images the rear looks very nice such as the one you put up - put when you see one on the road in the daytime, to me the rear just looks a little bland (and believe me I really want to love it).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Road tax on my MY14 Giulietta 170 TCT Petrol SportivaNav is £30. £20 for diesel!
£130 for a manual, and pretty much any diesel car is in a cheap tax band now.
Agree 30 quid tax for a petrol auto with 170bhp is pretty good- I think previously it was 121 co2, so they have now sneaked it under the "magic" 120.
Strange how even the mito 140 tct sits in the next tax band up.
Does all indeed show that kia has some catching up to do.
The gt is still a nice car, just not particularly clean.

261 - 280 of 340 Posts