Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most People on an alfa forum will be biased towards the alfa brand but I have bought a GQV recently (still haven't collected) and looked at all of its competition in the last six months and to see a giulietta in the flesh it just looks so much more appealing their is just something extra that I can't put my finger on being rare on the roads must help as I seldom actually see one in my area and I have not never seen a GQV on the roads which I like, I was looking at the hot versions of all the hatches, my budget was upto 15k (used) so I was on a budget but you can buy most of the competition at this level of money, most people I work with haven't even noticed them!!!!!! So they are a rare sight in my neck of the woods!
I have had three alfas years ago and I am looking forward to the new one!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Focus ST, Mk 5/6 Golf GTi, Astra VXR, Magane, Leon etc.

·
Registered
39,122 Posts
Yes. Probably the biggest sector of the car market. So much to choose from that you can buy the one which feels right for you. For example , I had three new A3 sport backs in a row even though I wouldn't drive a Golf . And I know they are basically the same car!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The GQV only wins in looks, sadly and honestly...in every other department it will lose to another hatch.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The GQV only wins in looks, sadly and honestly...in every other department it will lose to another hatch.
I wanted to say that but wasn't brave/stupid enough:lol:

Actually, it doesn't even win on looks if we're being honest:(

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surprised by the negative comments??
Certainly don't think it would lose to a golf mk5 gti had one also had a bmw 130i m sport and hasn't got the outright power but I think a nicer thing to look at in my view. And a vxr Astra they are pants other than a straight line .
Haven't owned yet as I said and my views are only on what I know and have driven in the past thanks for the comments though good to hear other views!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And a vxr Astra they are pants other than a straight line .
That just isn't true for the Astra VXR in its latest version. Reviews have been extremely complimentary about the handling and the roadholding.

"Steering which feels alive is something that has become harder to come by as new cars switch to less talkative electric power-steering systems, but the VXR’s electro-hydraulic set-up helps buck the trend. Turn into a corner and, as you hit a bump, the wheel will feed back exactly what’s underneath the front tyres to your hands. It gives you huge amounts of confidence.

And that’s a good thing considering how capable this car is in corners. A lot like the Megane 265, you have to be travelling at really high speeds before the Astra VXR even begins to feel flustered on a twisting, poorly surfaced UK B-road.

The car comes as standard with a limited-slip differential, which helps draw you into the apex of a bend and slingshot you out the other side.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/astra/18753/vauxhall-astra-vxr#ixzz2sOI41hid"

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Current Astra VXR is up there with the Megane RS. Looks wise, it's epic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I agree about the latest one (vxr) and they do now look a lot better! but my budget was upto 15k so not available for me, thanks for the comment!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
To be honest if I were driving alfas discontinued five years ago, then any of those named probably would feel/look epic, but after driving all of them for a few weeks all I'd want to do is get back in my Giulietta! But if you don't drive one regularly you wouldn't understand that.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
To be honest if I were driving alfas discontinued five years ago, then any of those named probably would feel/look epic, but after driving all of them for a few weeks all I'd want to do is get back in my Giulietta! But if you don't drive one regularly you wouldn't understand that.
There's a reason why I'm driving older Alfa's & it's certainly not financial..........

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
There's a reason why I'm driving older Alfa's & it's certainly not financial..........
I wouldn't disagree with that ( well I couldn't could I!!), but then again we all drive what we'd prefer to drive unless we are forced to drive something we'd rather not due to work or other commitments.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I wouldn't mind an older Alfa . Keeping my old 147 Q2 would have been nice , but as a daily driver the Giulietta is so much better.
Totally agree with that. The GQV is a much better drive than our V6 GT but I still prefer my Brera over the manual GQV. Intrigued over the forthcoming TCT variant though.

Enough to keep me in an Alfa though?

·
Registered
39,122 Posts
I couldn't take any more of the 147 as an everyday car . It was so refreshing at first and it may have stayed that way if I didn't do the driving I do.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Wait for the Giulia! - I'd put money on it being at Geneva next year! (You might need to sell all three of those old ones though!!!):)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I couldn't take any more of the 147 as an everyday car . It was so refreshing at first and it may have stayed that way if I didn't do the driving I do.
I wish they'd given the G double wishbones on the front though (and two less doors):cry:

A 3 door coupe esque G would be great:cool:

1 - 20 of 340 Posts