Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
In many ways the Alfasud was groundbreaking, but the competition has moved on. It was far easier back then to make a car stand out as most cars were so crude and basic in comparison.

I also think the Alfasud still harms the sales of newer Alfas, because the first thing people think of when the Alfasud is mentioned isn't the technological advances, it is the dreaded tin worm. A reputation for rust still persists with Alfa unfortunately despite them not being any worse than anything else.
Fiat really failed to address the whole rust issue - look at what VW have done for Skoda, it's all in the marketing....

But I do agree it was easier back then... or at least it seems that way with hind sight. Being groundbreaking is never going to be easy, and the easy solution is never going to be the best solution...

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Fiat addressed the rust problem but too late and handled the publicity very badly, with Lancia in particular. There is an interesting account in the book “Lancia in Britain” published by the Lancia Motor Club using accounts from employees at the time.
My last Lancia , a 1998 Delta HPE, had no rust at all after the decade I owned it, from new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been lucky enough to never have a rusty Alfa and I had several Alfasuds during the 80s! I have a GTV6 that I have had from new and no rust... But I think I am the exception! My 916 GTV that I bought after reading a review without testing one (as they had not gone on sale yet - so mine was one of the first) tested my patience inside a year a bent selector fork in the gearbox - lengthy repair. Both rear shocks went inside 10K miles Fiat refused to pay for them. Airbox behind dash needed replacing which they did under warranty, but they damaged the wiring harness which later melted requiring a complete rewire of front of car at a cost of £3000 Fiat refused to pay for this and I was without the car for 2 months until we agreed on 50/50. At this point the car was not even 2 years old. Customer service was shocking! Then there was the time my local dealer put the wrong oil in my GT causing the oil pump to fail or when they put the cam belt on incorrectly and I had to pay another dealer to correct!

·
Registered
37,512 Posts
The only rusty Alfa I have had was a 156...

The 164 I had was very well rust protected, and the 164 was developed before Fiat took over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took a Giulietta in for routine service 2 year ok. The incorrect oil was put in. This resulted in an oil pump failure. The garage rectified the issue and said the mechanic was more used to working on Fiats (which have largey the same engine). I took the A GT in for an MOT. As I don't drive my Alfas as much as I should the handbrake had seize, the told me it would be £400 to replace the cable, so I said don't worry then. Only to be told they had already done it! I instructed them to undo it then then told me they would do it for the Fiat price £160!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
From my experience over the last year or two Alfa dealers are under serious pressure to do things properly! There’s always a follow up survey after a workshop visit and they are pushing service contracts to remove the stress of them telling you those big prices.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just think how popular Alfa Romeo would be if they did things properly........

Then again we would moan that every Tom,Dick and Harry had one :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 156 asks you to set a digital clock on the LCD display but there is NOWHERE where it shows you the digital time as the dash clock is a nice old style analogue clock...

My onboard computer is also completely pointless as my car isn't quite factory so it's MPG calculations are simply miles away from the truth.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Could be worse. The Audi e-tron still has an engine oil-change indicator even though it has no engine!

(That car takes a £12k deposit and £700 a month on a pcp)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts