Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17yo 156

Info Centre.....virtually impossible to read.

A/C....non existent......but then again live in Belfast....so no need.

Fuel dial bulb has given up the ghost so have to shine torch at it to see when I am close to fumes.

Ditto with the milometer.

Rattle from the passenger door...this does annoy me as it should be an easy fix.....but can I find it?? Grrr

Slippy drivers floor mat....how I would love one of those ones that had a wee thingamajig that clicked it to the floor.

Steering wheel stereo channel adjusters which only one of two work.

I love her though......and when she finally gives up the ghost I will be devastated.

Talked to colleagues in work today and they have named their cars....sweet Jesus.....they were female colleagues....so I will let them off with that.

I do admit to giving the steering wheel a wee tap every now and again ....and saying " I love you" .....I know sad. :)

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
The fact that there is no replacement for the Giulietta. I don't want/can't afford something as big (and expensive) as the Giulia or Stelvio.
This Giulietta looks like being my only foray into AR which is going to be a massive disappointment having come late to the marque

·
Administrator
45,306 Posts
Killjoy.......
It's a valid annoyance! I'd love to be in an Alfa. But the Giulia QF is far too expensive for me (and there's no estate). I can live with it (as per your thread title) but I'd rather be in an Alfa than a Merc.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a valid annoyance! I'd love to be in an Alfa. But the Giulia QF is far too expensive for me (and there's no estate). I can live with it (as per your thread title) but I'd rather be in an Alfa than a Merc.
Doh....I misunderstood...my apologies.

·
Registered
37,511 Posts
I would love a Giulia, but I cannot afford one. (Well I could if I spent the house deposit)

Our Giulietta is broken.

Those are my two Alfa annoyances right now.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Have had only two annoyances with my Giulietta MA. Tiny resonance from the fuse box cover, though I think stuffing a Sainsbury's sponge cloth inside has cured it... but that's my fourth different cure and the previous ones have only lasted a day or two. Much more important: that lumpy engine surge as you let the clutch in. A real flaw in a driver's car, meaning you can't do boy-racer standing starts. Still not drastic, though.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
My 17yo 156

Info Centre.....virtually impossible to read.

A/C....non existent......but then again live in Belfast....so no need.

Fuel dial bulb has given up the ghost so have to shine torch at it to see when I am close to fumes.

Ditto with the milometer.

Rattle from the passenger door...this does annoy me as it should be an easy fix.....but can I find it?? Grrr

Slippy drivers floor mat....how I would love one of those ones that had a wee thingamajig that clicked it to the floor.

Steering wheel stereo channel adjusters which only one of two work.

I love her though......and when she finally gives up the ghost I will be devastated.

Talked to colleagues in work today and they have named their cars....sweet Jesus.....they were female colleagues....so I will let them off with that.

I do admit to giving the steering wheel a wee tap every now and again ....and saying " I love you" .....I know sad. :)
Rattle might be the one of the 4 window switches in the door. Hold each one up when you hear the rattle to check.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Have had only two annoyances with my Giulietta MA. Tiny resonance from the fuse box cover, though I think stuffing a Sainsbury's sponge cloth inside has cured it... but that's my fourth different cure and the previous ones have only lasted a day or two. Much more important: that lumpy engine surge as you let the clutch in. A real flaw in a driver's car, meaning you can't do boy-racer standing starts. Still not drastic, though.
Is yours a 170 then? I used to have to clutch slips to get that to move off but the 150 was fine.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Is yours a 170 then? I used to have to clutch slips to get that to move off but the 150 was fine.
No, I've had two 150s in the last year (identical twins), and they both have the characteristic. It is very mild, probably a lot better than the 170 which I test drove long ago, and my current 150 is better than my previous one. But it's there, lurking...

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did I remind you all that I still love looking at it and it drives like a dream ??

Even with all those annoyances ;)

Is it wrong to mutter "you bores" when I see all the German euroboxes on our NI roads ???

·
Registered
361 Posts
On my 156. External temperature sensor detecting sub 0 temperatures. On a hot summers day, resulting in no A/C. Not that the A/C is that effective anyway.

Speakers that work when they want to.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
One of the rubber bits on the back of the centre armrest came off a few months ago so it didn’t land quite right on the console. When the car was in for the first service I asked if they could get a replacement part. I was told they weren’t available separately so they’d have to replace the entire £500 armrest which I said was not very good ecologically. They ordered a new armrest and fitted it in January. Now the new squeaking a bit when opening and closing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That they haven't built a truly decent main stream car since the Alfasud! A few OK/good ones (916 GTV), but nothing that rewards like the Alfasud did especially when compared against what else was available at the time, Alfa were setting the standard - and not just with the Alfasud. Now Alfa are in an odd position trying to catch up, following a trend rather than setting one, a trend set by BMW and the like or worse an Alfa SUV - truly saddening! I appreciate Alfa are a car manufacturer and as such they need to sell cars which mean catering to the masses - but I feel all new Alfas and Alfa themselves have lost the magic they once had. I speak as a long term multiple Alfa owner (25+ probably insane) it breaks my heart to see where they are now. I accept that the Giulia is a pretty decent car but all models below the QV (The QV is awesome but is not really an option for most!) lack the dynamics of say a 3 series. As an engineer I can look at the Alfasud (and many other Alfas up to 1987) and see many unique and interesting design solutions all purposed to make the car drive better without compromise, inboard from brakes to reduce the un-sprung weight and improve handling, flat engine configuration to lower the centre of gravity (improving handling and increase interior space), twin lobe cam shafts reducing engine inertia, very clever rear suspension that allowed a small element of passive rear wheel steering (in the mid 70s!) providing the Alfasud with its legendary handling, there was also something special about the crankshaft that slips my mind lol.... Anyway in my opinion the Alfasud is not just the best car Alfa ever produced, it's also possibly one of the best cars ever made (then the Alfetta GTV6 ;-) ).. Alfa as usual orchestrating their own downfall the Alfasud an amazingly brilliant design built incredibly badly out of shoddy materials and an unskilled work force! Ever car since has progressively more disappointing!

·
Registered
37,511 Posts
In many ways the Alfasud was groundbreaking, but the competition has moved on. It was far easier back then to make a car stand out as most cars were so crude and basic in comparison.

I also think the Alfasud still harms the sales of newer Alfas, because the first thing people think of when the Alfasud is mentioned isn't the technological advances, it is the dreaded tin worm. A reputation for rust still persists with Alfa unfortunately despite them not being any worse than anything else.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts