Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title...Hoped to do a poll but cannae see how to do it.

With my current trials and tribulation my bubble hasn't burst yet but as it has deflated a wee bit it has caused me to ponder what is the straw that breaks a 166 in this day and age.

1)Timing Belt Due?
2) Exhaust?
3)Tyres?
4)Suspension issues
5)Brakes not inc pipes
6)Starter motor ?...(saw mines yesterday for the first time looking for the scuttle drain)
7)Brake pipes
8)EMISSIONS
9) Something else.

OR

Is it just Die Hards left?

Pomeo

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add

10) Ashtray full?
11) 10p for air for tyres?
12) Empty fuel tank?
13) New carpets?

Pomeo

·
Registered
359 Posts
If the car is Valuable to u then its a no brainer. I luv my 166 and ok its a 2008 but i didn't buy it to sell it, i bought it cause i luv it. So if things need done then do it

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the car is Valuable to u then its a no brainer. I luv my 166 and ok its a 2008 but i didn't buy it to sell it, i bought it cause i luv it. So if things need done then do it
:thumbup::thumbup:
Well it was 10 years ago when eye furst strated oot Tyson...Then I was 10 years younger and nowt was a bother...well exhaust then was a bit exhausting.(Esp when doing non destructive fix and not a Kwik Fit Chop and renew.) BUTT Pomeo was a 1999 so only 6 years at time of fix Lucy is a 2001 so 14 years at time of attempted fix...A few more tunnelling days should drop it off or hospitalise me.)also " I DIDN'T BUY IT TO SELL" either....when the aisle needed changing I bought another one hence 4. 2 perm sorned as the road tax is a killer when paying 4 but 2 is equivalent to your 1 so thanks for the boot up the jacksie.

But £1.5k to renew the exhaust on a car that's wurth £250.....Hmmm.....Hence off to Tescos for the Heineekan....Fixes the parts other beer/lager cans can't.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have 4 alfas...3 156es (2.4 diesel taxi, V6 minter and GTA project) and one 166. For me the 166 gets everything it needs....what a car!

If I had four 166es...I'd sell/break at least two of them..and get a different Alfa..or Lancia... but that is me Pomeo....not you obviously!

I'd also love a GTV6, a Thema 8:32/164QV, a GT Junior etc etc etc......but you have to draw the line somewhere!! The key question is: Are you happy with/love what you got? If so then look after it/them, If not then change it...(In your case maybe do some thinning).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The difference between a 156 V6 or a 166 and say a 156 GTA is the GTA has a value of about 5 times in £££s. At the end of the day though it is down to each owner to decide when enough is enough on the maintenance of their car.
I could get the missus a newish Vauxhall Astra, and me a new or newish Work Van on PCP... but for me I'd rather spend the cash on my old Alfa's cos I'm hooked on them and believe they deserve it....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
all 166es are now at the age where they need attention (on top of the usual Alfa maintenance tasks). They are also difficult to work on.

It isn't easy to throw an old broken one away and get a nice new one any more...

There are less and less 166es that get used as commuting/first vehicles.....most of these owners, even though they love their 166 will not want to invest much more than the value of the car each year....say £1000....which means many are drifting towards the scrappy cliff at mot/service time.

On the other hand, over 1/3 of the remaining are on sorn, which shows many owners don't want to throw them away, even if they don't get used much/need fixing.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the stats from How Many Left are to be believed 166 V6's are becoming rather rare

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=alfa+romeo+166
Thanks for all the opinions people but I was so dumb asking a ? like that here as we are the only Die Hards left. The wons to ask were the ones that huv gone as they have gone and dunnit.

Putting it doon to banging my heed aff the cat as I attempted to crawl into position to get enuff purchase getting those poor excuses for nuts off.

Thank goodness I go the non destructive route as often as I can and can easilt stick some new nuts on and clamps a bit o sheet metal around the escaping gaseous noxious until the guid weather retuns and do the joab right.

ToB I prefer this linky

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/alfa_romeo_166

due to the pathetic accurate recording of the various models and specs.

Hawkeye .O wood follow your advice IF they were compatible parts.As I have said afore...4 166's and nay twa the same....AAARGH....So much for my spares anticipation. (Battle of the River Plate an awe that.)

Pomeo

·
Registered
Alfa 145, Spider, Chrysler Delta
7,120 Posts
I enjoyed working on my 166, much better made than 156/147s whose bolts seemed to rust all too readily and there is the bonus of a bit more space to work with. And when all the work was done, it would roar back into life. Marvellous!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Loved my 166 Super Zender. It was everything I wanted in a car but I had to sell it due to the fuel cost per week. This was down to my daily commute. Such a shame as it was a minter. I got top money for it but it recently got sold on Ebay looking like it had been poorly treated over the last few years. Shame. I was tempted to buy it back but it would have been a world of pain and expense to try and get it back to its former glory. Great cars.

I'm almost tempted to buy the face-lifted 166 Twin Spark as a replacement for my 159 JTDM now the fuel prices are half sensible again. But, they are old cars now so finding a late good one with the right mileage and for a realistic price is not easy....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Loved my 166 Super Zender. It was everything I wanted in a car but I had to sell it due to the fuel cost per week. This was down to my daily commute. Such a shame as it was a minter. I got top money for it but it recently got sold on Ebay looking like it had been poorly treated over the last few years. Shame. I was tempted to buy it back but it would have been a world of pain and expense to try and get it back to its former glory. Great cars.

I'm almost tempted to buy the face-lifted 166 Twin Spark as a replacement for my 159 JTDM now the fuel prices are half sensible again. But, they are old cars now so finding a late good one with the right mileage and for a realistic price is not easy....
rare uk reg diesel available if you can drive a lefty....?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROME...539386?hash=item2a5cfa61fa:g:FK0AAOSwwE5WXu~Y

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bought my 2.0 TS FL for £3400 with full engine rebuild etc. In fact, I think the bills added up not far off the selling price !. Spent another £2700 getting everything else sorted ( I thought) Another bill recently on aux belt tensioner. 121,000 miles so far. Aim to keep running one of the last 166's on the road regardless of cost. Kids want an XC 90 as all their friends have one. Wife wants a 'Non' shed. Just firms up my resolve and will make an amusing epitaph no doubt 'My Dad insisted on running us around in an old Italian 'POS' kind of thing. Ho Ho.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We are currently spoilt for choice on Autotrader. There are two TS facelifts and a 3.2 V6 Ti, and all look in good condition. Two have good histories, and even the cheapest one has had a recent clutch change. I still think a 166 is a good buy if you are doing lowish mileage. I owned a 159 for two years but there were constant niggles that none of my 166s suffered from. Newer doesn’t always mean better engineered. The bigger problem with a 166 is the availability of parts. Going through a dealer means serious ££££.

I sold my 159 and took a punt on a 2005 TS facelift. It was due a new cambelt, so I drove it for a couple of months, got a feel for the car and had it looked over. Satisfied that there was nothing obviously wrong, I have stumped up for a cambelt with all the parts, and the plan is to run it for 4-5 years. I’ll service it as per schedule, probably cover 6-8K miles per year, but I have no plans to do another cambelt. It helps that we use the other car for family duties. Issues are going to crop up, it’s an older car. I think in my situation, with lowish mileage and another family car at home, it’s a worthwhile alternative to something newer, more expensive, smaller, less character, and that is still depreciating at a higher rate.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
We are currently spoilt for choice on Autotrader. There are two TS facelifts and a 3.2 V6 Ti, and all look in good condition. Two have good histories, and even the cheapest one has had a recent clutch change. I still think a 166 is a good buy if you are doing lowish mileage. I owned a 159 for two years but there were constant niggles that none of my 166s suffered from. Newer doesn’t always mean better engineered. The bigger problem with a 166 is the availability of parts. Going through a dealer means serious ££££.

I sold my 159 and took a punt on a 2005 TS facelift. It was due a new cambelt, so I drove it for a couple of months, got a feel for the car and had it looked over. Satisfied that there was nothing obviously wrong, I have stumped up for a cambelt with all the parts, and the plan is to run it for 4-5 years. I’ll service it as per schedule, probably cover 6-8K miles per year, but I have no plans to do another cambelt. It helps that we use the other car for family duties. Issues are going to crop up, it’s an older car. I think in my situation, with lowish mileage and another family car at home, it’s a worthwhile alternative to something newer, more expensive, smaller, less character, and that is still depreciating at a higher rate.
Yes, some good points there and have seen all the cars on Autotrader. However, I would want to sell the 159 and the have the cash in my pocket before buying another car. Plus, the running costs of the 159 are very low and it's been a fantastic car so no complaints - yet!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts