Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine a lot of you 916 owners, at least Phase 1, have had this thought pop up sometime during ownership so hopefully someone can help me out here.

Phase 1 916s (I don't know about PH2 and PH3) don't have cupholders. I have a 1995 Spider and, to be honest, not having a cupholder is a bit of a pain. Is there an elegant aftermarket or DIY solution for this? For someone like me, who always carries around a bottle of water is a bit of a mess having it fly around the cabin under braking and acceleration all the time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you have that little cubby behind the armrest in the Spider? I usually put my bottle of water there, but it's still not a snug fit and moves around a lot.

I don't know of any good solutions personally, but I've been brainstorming a few ideas I'm not quite comfortable making public yet. Message me if you're interested!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There is a thread on here about screwing one into the door card, which looked horrendous and also probably ruined the door card. Other than that I think Alfa decided they were going to make it impossible to do so with the interior design!

Did people even drink coffee in their cars in 1996?

Apologies the above is not helpful in any way is it :)

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
I am in process of converting a centre dash from a Scion TC. It is the right width to sit on the plastic divide between the rear seats and extends forward to overhang the 'cubby'. It places two cupholders over the cubby and still allows access to the cubby. I also get a storage bin with hinged lid and a place to mount a couple of USB charging sockets for phones etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you have that little cubby behind the armrest in the Spider? I usually put my bottle of water there, but it's still not a snug fit and moves around a lot.

I don't know of any good solutions personally, but I've been brainstorming a few ideas I'm not quite comfortable making public yet. Message me if you're interested!
Phase 1, at least my early 95, don't come with an armrest even :(

I'm stuck with a shallow shelve which is where I put bottles and stuff, but they tend to fly around first time I hit the brakes.

There is a thread on here about screwing one into the door card, which looked horrendous and also probably ruined the door card. Other than that I think Alfa decided they were going to make it impossible to do so with the interior design!

Yes, I've seen the pictures. I think it goes without saying I'm not prepared to ruin my door card 😅 I guess people were doing other things instead of coffee in the 90s 🤔

I am in process of converting a centre dash from a Scion TC. It is the right width to sit on the plastic divide between the rear seats and extends forward to overhang the 'cubby'. It places two cupholders over the cubby and still allows access to the cubby. I also get a storage bin with hinged lid and a place to mount a couple of USB charging sockets for phones etc.
Wow, sounds like quite a thing. I guess you are talking about a GTV. Unfortunately no rear seats on Spiders so it makes options a bit more limited.

I was maybe looking for some kind of clip-on thingy for the shelve cubby that sits between the two seats. Something not very noticeable and somewhat discrete. I guess I'm bound to look for my bottle under the seats everytime I park the car. Oh, Alfa, the same things I love you for are the ones I hate you for.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

This topic is totally outside my experience. I've never ate or drank when in my cars so have not felt the need to have cup holders. Those in my Giulietta are used for useful storage. If I need to eat, drink or pee I stop and find somewhere. Perhaps Alfa should've incorporated a pee tube as did Republican for the P47 Thunderbolt.
Not helpful either.🥤🍩🚽
Sorry.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I use one of these, it slides in between the passenger seat and the centre section. I made a pad to make sure it’s snug fit. They’re only a tenner or so on ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This topic is totally outside my experience. I've never ate or drank when in my cars so have not felt the need to have cup holders. Those in my Giulietta are used for useful storage. If I need to eat, drink or pee I stop and find somewhere. Perhaps Alfa should've incorporated a pee tube as did Republican for the P47 Thunderbolt.
Not helpful either.🥤🍩🚽
Sorry.
I don’t care about a cup holder but I do miss an outside temperature gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts