Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my June edition AROC magazine today & whilst flicking through the pages I noticed an individual picture of Bingy's red GTV 'R4 GTV' fitted with Cup body kit featured in the Spring Alfa Day article. :)

No Cups were singled out so yet again.......'Cup-A-Likes' rule!:p

Below are 2 more pictures taken at Beachy Head July last year & Brooklands April this year.:thumbs:

Clive

Attachments

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ask Bingy..

Love those wheels, phase 3s?
no, he did tell me but I've forgotten.

Not sure he wants too many people fitting them, then they''ll be common rather than special.;)

I do have a low mileage Cup-a-like with P3 alloys for sale though.:cool:

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
no, he did tell me but I've forgotten.

Not sure he wants too many people fitting them, then they''ll be common rather than special.;)

I do have a low mileage Cup-a-like with P3 alloys for sale though.:cool:

Clive
:lol:i cant handle the fame ..of being in the aroc magazine.i got it yesterday i was surprised 2 c me car in there :cool:and the mag was a freebie as my membership ran out in april:)i dont even know wot my wheels are:cheese:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
how much are the cup wings and do they do them in blue

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Isn't a "Cup a Like" similar to buying a fake Rolex/Tag watch from those street corner guys

A fair percentage (majority perhaps ?) of people would not be able to tell the diffference but YOU know.

I have been there in the past with purchasing watches coming back from Instanbul/New York etc myself

But with age hopefully comes money and you can afford (ish) to but the Real McCoy

So you purchase the real thing.
Now again most people may not know any better but YOU know and its a good feeling.

A happy real Cup owner (and ex dodgy watch dealer !!)

Alan

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
must admit i agree with the above but the wings look cool

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Gone fishing...again

Isn't a "Cup a Like" similar to buying a fake Rolex/Tag watch from those street corner guys

NO because it still has a genuine Alfa GTV underneath unlike a fake watch which has cheap workings inside.:p

A fair percentage (majority perhaps ?) of people would not be able to tell the diffference but YOU know.

I have been there in the past with purchasing watches coming back from Instanbul/New York etc myself

But with age hopefully comes money and you can afford (ish) to but the Real McCoy

So you purchase the real thing.
Now again most people may not know any better but YOU know and its a good feeling.

A happy real Cup owner (and ex dodgy watch dealer !!)

Alan
Not only was Bingy's car the only GTV featured but it was also the only 916...Spider or GTV!

No one is trying to replicate a Cup but just by adding the Cup body kit it LOOKS LIKE one, especially if it's red.

Only Cup owners(& some other saddos:rolleyes:) get upset but you're always guaranteed to take the bait.:cheese:

Some Cup-A-Likes have cost more to modify than a real Cup & sometimes are better, IMO.

What's a Cup anyway? Nothing more than a red V6 GTV with a body kit, cloth seats & shiney wheels! :wow:

Oh & the all important plaque(I've got 2 plaques in 'stock').

PS: I do have 2 lovely genuine Cups for sale as well.;)

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
clive do you have any wings

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
:cheese::cheese:

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Some Cup-A-Likes have cost more to modify than a real Cup & sometimes are better, IMO.
What's a Cup anyway? Nothing more than a red V6 GTV with a body kit, cloth seats & shiney wheels! :wow:
Oh & the all important plaque(I've got 2 plaques in 'stock').
Agreed, well almost. Cups lose their credibility with me because they have no functional improvements over a standard V6. I would feel exploited by Alfa marketing if I were to pay a premium for one.

Where we disagree Clive, is that I think a Cup kit spoils a standard V6 -not because it is bad looking, but because the concept of putting functionless and unnecessary vents and splitters on is slightly Barry to me. (I suspect I may be in a very small minority with this view though. :eek:)

I'd pay your prices, but I'd want clean, mechanically sound and standard.

·
Registered
30,334 Posts
No, not really.

A fake Rolex is 100% a fake, probably made by a child in China.

A "Cup a Like" is still a genuine GTV made by the same people in the same factory as a genuine Cup, but with a few minor changes after it left the factory.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I find cups / cup-a-likes a bit fussy, don't think it does much for the gtv adorning it with fake vents in the wings and fussy skirts but each to their own. Good to see some GTVs getting exposure, the GTV is still my favourite Alfa :).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
might have but as you agreed with Persimmon......:tut:

Do they do them in BLUE?!:rolleyes: Really I can't believe you asked that.:lol:

I think Alfa still sell them.:)

Clive
ah so cups were only red
I was sure you had cupalikes in other colours clive:lol:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts