Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I still had my blue GTV I bought a Zender cup kit. I sold the front scoop as I'm not much of a fan, and my blue GTV had a rear wing so I sold that as well but now the black one doesn' and the buyer (who hasn;t fitted it yet!) doesn't want to sell it back! :( I now had the fenders and side skirts painted to match the black 3.2 and got it back today. Can't wait to fit it!:D The front "aerokit" scoop has been fitted but with a 30mm drop on the eibachs it's LOWWW!!!

XXX naughty pic for Guilie: A ciggie packet will be decapitated by the front aero scoop!:lol:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/131220112549.jpg

The 3.2 went in to have the bumpers resprayed at the same time, removed stone chips from the front bumper and small ding in the rear (monkey at work! :( ) so she now looks good again:thumbs: just needs a spit and polish, so I can now practise with the merchandise I bought for this job!:D

I couldn't take poser pix as it was raining (my one friend argues that you take the best pix in the rain though, but usually the photographer gets wet!:cheese:)

Pix:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/081220112518.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/081220112515.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/081220112520.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/131220112546.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/131220112543.jpg

I can't wait to fit the skirts and cup fenders!:cool:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a tad bit worried about speed bumps. What if I can't leave the neighbourhood now because the speed bump down the road is too high! :cheese:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My opinion is that you should remove the lip before it damages your bumper.:lol:
The side skirts will lower the car by 25mm if I remember correctly but that will be fine since my GTV also rides on a Koni Eibach combination.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys
Its going to look wicked. I've got the eibach koni combo and the Cup kit....and boy its low (dunno whether you can make it out from my avatar)...luckily the front scoop/spoiler is plastic...its taken a few scrapes (some hard ones) but clears most speed bumps...youve just gotaa take them very carefully.....
The rears tites rub up against the arches on heavey bumps and the ride is "hard" but comfy...but you get used to it/learn to live with it...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It really looks good and I am glad you guys can live with it.

As for me, I scrape everywhere with the standard suspension. Mine is even raised 20mm at the back. But write that off too "lack of driving skills" and "age"

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I drove the GTV and negotiated quite a few speed bumps. It didn't rub or scrape. Both my GTV's were lowered 30mm and only the blue one scraped the rear wheels in the arches but that was when going through dips at high speed, or when hitting bumps or dips while cornering hard. The reason was the shocks that were too weak.

I have the "aerokit" scoop, not the Cup splitter. It's not much more than a black plastic lip, and it's lower on the sides than in the middle so the photo I attached is deceptive. For lack of pictures, I've attached a googled 916 Phase 3 with the same scoop fitted.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i557/55777_2mg.jpg

The fenders bolt on with two bolts and it looks like a 15 min job to fit them both but I'm going to need a drill because I need to attach the small rubber trim just behind the wheel arches onto the cup fenders. No hole for it on the zender fenders!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drove the GTV and negotiated quite a few speed bumps. It didn't rub or scrape. Both my GTV's were lowered 30mm and only the blue one scraped the rear wheels in the arches but that was when going through dips at high speed, or when hitting bumps or dips while cornering hard. The reason was the shocks that were too weak.
HI Ian
Mine is pretty much the same.....tires rub/scrape the rear arches exactly as you have descibed....with the Eibach springs and standard shocks and then changed to Koni and does the same thing.....Are the koni shocks then weak?:confused:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Adjust the damping rate of your shocks. I had the same issue and it disappeared with the Konis.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
They have 4 settings although the one just after the softest is a bit week so what I would suggest is turn them on the firm setting and then back two clicks.
I found that setting to work nice for normal use.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HI Ian
Mine is pretty much the same.....tires rub/scrape the rear arches exactly as you have descibed....with the Eibach springs and standard shocks and then changed to Koni and does the same thing.....Are the koni shocks then weak?:confused:
Spidey are your shocks adjustable? Try making them one click stiffer. I have Koni's as well. My front wheels barely move 50mm up or down because of the drop so to compensate the rears are set stiffer to the second click. The 16" wheels on my old car rubbed way more than the 17" wheels do on the new one.:thumbs:

The black GTV on the rear wheels has about 2 degrees camber where the blue one had 1.5 degrees, maybe that could make the difference?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys....
Mine are adjustable and are on the softest setting... Gotta get somebody to do those adjustments... I wouldn't even know where to start.... Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Take the rear wheel off and undo the shock at the top.

On top of the shock body the is a hole with a ball/plunger in it. If you press the plunger in and you turn the shaft/mounting the shock will change adjustment.

Like TN said I also found that it is easier to turn to the hardest setting and come back two clicks. You can sometimes miss the first click coming from the soft side.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
@ Ian..Vokken jAAAAA! Low is the LIFESTYLE!(Bent two rims in Kimberley this weekend and two new dunlops needs replacing...hit potholes HARD as hell!!! Lip is also damaged)

@Spidey - you must upload pics of that car pls...exactly what I want mine to look like, low, cup kit, red but obvias you guys need to solve the "too-low" problem with 18" wheels!

I was in the S3 this weekend, also has a Koni/HnR set up to HARD...my god...We had a few and at 5am in the morning we decided to see how fast we can go round a circle...the GTi goes to 80kph and then the swak tyres and standard susp with HnR's start screaming...the S3 hit 123kph!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
4x4 with proper suspension should be a lot faster than the GTI going round and round.
I suppose you were drinking oros since you will not drive under the influence will you.:lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
lmfao...yes, Oros Orange flavour...plus that S3 was on Stage 2 so we had to wait until early mornings to get proper testing...it kills the GTi by 4 car lengths

1 - 20 of 20 Posts