Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's not an expensive car, so can't understand the reason for envious vandals keying it.

Sure is tempting to have a Cup Q2 v6 over my v6 which I want to Q2 one day.

Funny how attached I now feel to my own GTV, head is suggest buy this and sell mine but heart says "no way"

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not an expensive car, so can't understand the reason for envious vandals keying it.
Might have been someone he knows and upset them???
In some ways I am lucky to live opposite a school entrance, and CCTV covers it and my car 24/7, and the kids round here know that ( not saying that kids are vandals), and the nearest pub is about a mile away so don't have drunks staggering past....;)

Just realised I'm tempting fate saying that.......:(

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The first photos make it look nice, then you see the keying, the splitter, the bumer and it makes you think the car is tatty and wonder how well the car has been looked after in general. If the owner doesn't care about the bodywork will they care about servicing and maintenance?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The first photos make it look nice, then you see the keying, the splitter, the bumer and it makes you think the car is tatty and wonder how well the car has been looked after in general. If the owner doesn't care about the bodywork will they care about servicing and maintenance?
Agreed. There are some cheap simple fixes he's listed. Why not do them prior to sale?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. There are some cheap simple fixes he's listed. Why not do them prior to sale?
You would think so, anyone owning a cup knows that prospective buyers will be looking for near perfect examples unless the price is similar to a standard V6.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It just needs someone to take it home and look after it is all. :) might go quite cheap it being just after crimbo

·
Registered
535 Posts
the more above 2K it goes again the less of a bargin it becomes. Decent full respray with good paint 2-3K (to remedy the keying and bumper and splitter issues as well). Prolly wheel and caliper refurb 200 quid.

Thats the cosmestic stuff sorted.

2 new front tyres 250+100 for alarm unit.

so 3-3.5K out of blocks just to get it looking nice and drivable. With that high mileage you prolly could potentially need to budget for mechanical issues. (suspension :) ). Factor in another 1K for that (could be more or less hwo knows) 4-4.5K to get it nice (not mint just nice.

It sounds tempting and I might go an have a look. But again your much better off waiting for a good example for 5-6K thats been garaged and loved. I think it will go up to about 3K on ebay. which for me would be too much. Dont like that exhaust system much either.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Could be looking at a few hundred quids worth of paintwork, couple of hundred quid on tyres, alarm you could live without. Ultimately I reckon it's the sort of car that may be ok but you'd definately want to see it. Mileage is quite high but if you aren't after perfection it might be a reasonable buy. I've had reasonable success touching in keying but you can generally still see it up close.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I reckon this could be just what I've been after. My brother owns a really good bodyshop and we're going to have a look at it in the next couple of days. I'm not too bothered about the mileage, I had a 91 Mondial t that had 80k on it but it didn't give me a single problem, everyone says that they're to be used so is it any better / worse than one that's been sat in a garage for the last 5 years??
If I win the auction it'll just go into the bodyshop and stay there for a bit until probably the spring and he'll do bits on it as and when (hopefully lol):thumbs:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Sounds you're exactly the sort of person who could turn this car into a minter. If you can get mates rates for bodywork it starts to make sense.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think for that sort of money you probably have to be realistic about what you're going to get. If you don't really mind the odd bit of 'character' knocked in to your car then this could be a perfect long term project. But, and this is only because I'm super fussy, I'd shell out money on the cosmetics. I know from first hand experience you can't part match Alfa red, the whole car would have to be sprayed and for a good job you have to be looking at £2k. Add in mechanicals and then there's the interior trim/seats and headlining etc (if you can find it!) I don't think it is worth £2.5k as they've been coming up on Pistonheads over the last few months with less miles, better condition at around £5k +. Don't get auction fever........

·
Registered
396 Posts
the more above 2K it goes again the less of a bargin it becomes. Decent full respray with good paint 2-3K (to remedy the keying and bumper and splitter issues as well). Prolly wheel and caliper refurb 200 quid.

Thats the cosmestic stuff sorted.

2 new front tyres 250+100 for alarm unit.

so 3-3.5K out of blocks just to get it looking nice and drivable. With that high mileage you prolly could potentially need to budget for mechanical issues. (suspension :) ). Factor in another 1K for that (could be more or less hwo knows) 4-4.5K to get it nice (not mint just nice.

It sounds tempting and I might go an have a look. But again your much better off waiting for a good example for 5-6K thats been garaged and loved. I think it will go up to about 3K on ebay. which for me would be too much. Dont like that exhaust system much either.
well its up around £2.2k so that's me out. Don't reckon its worth more than £2250

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
That's what I'm thinking although I won't be getting carried away with the bidding.
Best of luck with it I hope you get it!

I know from first hand experience you can't part match Alfa red, the whole car would have to be sprayed and for a good job you have to be looking at £2k.
It is very hard to match it alright, and the only way to get it really perfect it to do a full respray, but that said does that mean that if you do a full respray that it won't be the proper colour? If you can get the proper colour then it wouldnt be so hard to match in the first place...

·
Vendor
46,415 Posts
It is very hard to match it alright, and the only way to get it really perfect it to do a full respray, but that said does that mean that if you do a full respray that it won't be the proper colour? If you can get the proper colour then it wouldnt be so hard to match in the first place...
Not quite as simple as that, because the paint fades, and the paint code doesn't account for the paint fading from red to pink over the years. So a full respray would be the proper colour, without any fade. That is why if you just painted one section, it wouldn't match, as you would have fresh Alfa Rosso 130 next to Alfa Rosso 130 that has had ten years worth of paint fade..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts