Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a new Sony MEX-BT3100U and have the CTSAR001 hooked up. But...three of the steering wheel buttons have the wrong function. This is on a facelift 156.

The volume Up & Down are correct. The mute button seems to be "source". The down search button seems to "seek", which is ok, but on the old Blaupunkt unit it would be down preset. The up search button seems to have the equivalent function of the display button on the headunit. The source button on the steering wheel seems to be the equivalent of holding down the "source" button on the headunit.

Have I skipped a step? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I looked at these for a 156 the other day and in the small print on ebay there were two other items listed

"SWC.2 Interfaces C2 Programming tool (C2 RE Flasher) and Programming leads (PROG LEAD 1) are sold separately"

don't know if this apply's

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I doubt it's a wiring/fitment problem. They are pretty full proof, and if you have it at least partly working, it's more likely an issue with the interface programme.

The steering buttons basically have resistors built into each one. There's a float voltage of ~5.00V through the system. When you press a button, a resistor drops that voltage down (eg: to 2.8V), and the interface recognises that change, and outputs a signal to the Sony headunit to operate that function.

For some reason, the CTSAR001 is misinterpreting the voltage changes, and sending the wrong signal to the Sony. Presuming the original headunit was working properly, it seems unlikely a fault with the buttons or Alfa plugs. More like an issue with the CTSAR001 or its patch lead. And presuming the Sony headunit is brand new and thus in perfect working condition, unlikely to be that either.

Maybe contact Connects2 to see if they are aware of any issues with Sony head units, and whether they have a solution. They may end up suggesting trying a replacement CTSAR001; maybe even the updated CTSAR001.2 could work.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacted Connects2 this morning and they got back to me already.

Connects2 said:
Inside the interface box there are four dip switches - please open the interface box and put dip switch 4 to the off position please and rest your system (power down) this should solve your issue.
I am looking forward to trying this when I get home from work!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Good one. Let us know how you go.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts