Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between the Connect2 CT53-AR01 and the CT51-AR01.

Would I still need to use the CTSAR003 as well. The car is a 2007 GT and I have a Kenwood DNX8220BT. It has 4V Pre outs but I understand this isn't really enough to drive the Bose amp.

Thanks

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I can't find details of the CT51-AR01 (doesn't exist on Connects2 website?).

My understanding of this product, is that it allows you to use the speaker outputs from your new headunit, to feed the BOSE system. Thus, it is presumably a 'set of resistors' (may or may not be any more sophisticated than that!) that reduces the audio signal strength to suit the BOSE amplifier. It also means you don't utilise the 4V preouts.

IMO, it's better to use the preouts because the audio signal is better. The signal is a little 'degraded' if it is amplified by the headunit's (Kenwood's) inbuilt amplifier circuits; same for any brand/model. Using preouts, the signal is 'unadulterated', and as good an analogue signal as you will get. If you want me to put a figure on it, I would hazard a guess that the speaker outputs are about 80% as good as preouts; thus, to most people easily good enough (and still better than the factory headunit!).

If going with preouts, you can use the Nexxia PC2-36-AMPR.
Nexxia Alfa Bose Harness Adaptor to RCA online at Nexxia UK

You will still need the CTSAR003.2 steering wheel interface, with CTKENWOODLEAD patch lead (or check first, because there is also a CTKENWOODLEAD2, depending upon style of plug at the back of the headunit).

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at both options and reading the various posts. I would have gone with the pre outs but there appears to be some question whether 4V pre outs are sufficient. I first saw the CT51-AR01 Connects2 CT51-AR01 Alfa Romeo 147, 156, 159 Active System Adaptor ISO Loom and then the CT53-AR01; The 53 has a lot more to it and I wondered if they had combined the functions of the 51 and the CTSAR003. I don't have sufficient knowledge to recognise this from the pictures. I've emailed Connect2 but haven't had any response yet.

Regards

·
7,713 Posts
OK. Looks like the CT53 adds the wiring connections for the power-ISO plugs. The CT51 just has the relevant connections for the speaker-ISO plugs, which is all you need.

If that's the only difference, then you can use the CT51, no probs. The power-ISO wiring should simply be pass-through; ie: connect one plug to the other, and not have anything to do with the 'black box'; the black box presumably houses the resistors.

Unless you want it very loud, 4V preouts is enough. For normal listening volumes it is fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK. Looks like the CT53 adds the wiring connections for the power-ISO plugs. The CT51 just has the relevant connections for the speaker-ISO plugs, which is all you need.

If that's the only difference, then you can use the CT51, no probs. The power-ISO wiring should simply be pass-through; ie: connect one plug to the other, and not have anything to do with the 'black box'; the black box presumably houses the resistors.

Unless you want it very loud, 4V preouts is enough. For normal listening volumes it is fine.

sorry if you have covered this already i have a 2006/2007 year gt without bose. i have a JVC HEAD UNIT in at the moment . I have been offerd a cheep bose system for this car , the speakers , amp , loom and sub what lead would i need to use the JVC unit withe the bose system
thanks .

·
7,713 Posts
What JVC headunit? What are the preout specs (voltage)?

·
7,713 Posts
Can't find any details about that one. Definitely that one?

Anyway, the connections to the BOSE system will need to be the audio, and the remote trigger wire that turns the amp on/off. The JVC will have a remote output wire (exact name may vary); just not the same shape plug, but you can easily rig them together.

For audio, it will be easiest to just use the 'speaker output' connection from the JVC, which should connect directly with the same style (ISO) plug as the BOSE.

So it will be easy to connect.

...not so easy to install. Access to the rear speakers in the GT takes some work, and neatly running the main loom will too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't find any details about that one. Definitely that one?

Anyway, the connections to the BOSE system will need to be the audio, and the remote trigger wire that turns the amp on/off. The JVC will have a remote output wire (exact name may vary); just not the same shape plug, but you can easily rig them together.

For audio, it will be easiest to just use the 'speaker output' connection from the JVC, which should connect directly with the same style (ISO) plug as the BOSE.

So it will be easy to connect.

...not so easy to install. Access to the rear speakers in the GT takes some work, and neatly running the main loom will too.

job for the weekend then ! lol
thanks for advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts