Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a stupid question, but last night while coming home due to lack of sleep I stupidly looked at the RPM dial and due to it being on the right I mistook it for the speedo thinking I was doing 50 instead of the 70.

Once I noticed I instantly went to change gear (I was at 5k-6k rpm at this point) from gear 5 to 6. Though when I grabbed the gearstick it slipped out of gear making the horrific crunching sound from the gearbox.

Immediately I corrected my mistake, but after this I began thinking my 'bite point' was higher on the clutch than it previously was. Can anyone explain if and why my bite will be effect by this and most importantly how to rectify the problem I made?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
:D

I wouldn't worry about it. The crunch would have been the synchromesh complaining. It's pretty difficult to wreck it (thousands of driving school cars last okay) but it is not all that good for the gearbox, so try not to do it... :thumbs:

Your bite point might have gone a bit mental if you heated up the clutch during that bit of free-revving.. but that should calm down too.

The main point is you can see how rubbish you were while tired. Tiredness makes you as likely to crash as being over the drink-drive limit (apart from you don't feel immortal while you're tired) and you really don't ever want to drive tired... It could be me you prang while you're missing gears next time.. and that would make me mildly aggitated.. ;)

Ralf S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts