Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a 4 wheel drive before, and not sure if it should make any difference, but every gearchange (more so in the lower gears) is slightly crunchy. The car's only got 10000 on the clock... Is it normal?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Skoda Octavia 4x4 which has the Haldex four wheel drive, which is a part time system and sends power to the rear wheels if they stat to slip.

I does make the odd light clonking noise if you boot it hard out of a slippery junction but the gear change if almost perfect, I doubt if the poor gear change relates to it being a 4x4.

My wife’s GTV has what I’d describe as a reluctant gear change, especially 3rd, this gets better as the car warms up. To me It’s an issue with the gearbox oil, a similar issue some Fords uses to suffer from

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 159 Q4 is also like this, it gets better once the gearbox has warmed up. Just takes a particular technique with the clutch to avoid crunching when cold!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 159 Q4 is also like this, it gets better once the gearbox has warmed up. Just takes a particular technique with the clutch to avoid crunching when cold!
My 159 Q4 is the same - though actually, it's in the garage this week for some warranty work, and the crunchy 1st>2nd gear change is something I've ask them to look at. I'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I dropped it off at the garage this morning, but they never got back to me, I really hope it's something simple like gearbox oil...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, it's been back again, apparently the synchromesh is off between 2nd and 3rd.... Dunno anything about gearboxes... but they are replacing it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was this done under warranty? Did AR acknowledge premature synchro wear is a known problem? Mind telling me how many miles/k's and approx age of the vehicle, too? :D

Mine is fine cold but gets crunchy when warm. Not happy, Jan! Didn't do it when I test drove it... hmmm.
Cheers!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was this done under warranty? Did AR acknowledge premature synchro wear is a known problem? Mind telling me how many miles/k's and approx age of the vehicle, too? :D

Mine is fine cold but gets crunchy when warm. Not happy, Jan! Didn't do it when I test drove it... hmmm.
Cheers!
They changed it in the 3rd year warranty, the car's got 11000 on the clock. It's the 3.2 Brera.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many thanks :thumbs:

Hopefully, I can get the same treatment! Mines a bit more "run-in", with 28K miles on it, but that's still nothing in terms of modern vehicles. My previous wheels had 114K and original, smooth shifting box. Not an Alfa, tho...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts