Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned right out of a junction yesterday in the Cup & heard "bang"... like I had hit a brick... turned around and on full lock "bang again". Inspected underneath & could find no damage.... drove VERY gently to the garage... Today on the ramp the osf wheel turns & we can hear a nasty noise in the diff / gearbox crunching & turns the N/S wheel... Turn N/s wheel & some noise but doesn't always turn O/S wheel. Sounds real nasty but no oil leaking..
So the questions are please...
Diff knackered but not blown the box?
Diff knackered & blown the box?
Any pointers on removing the diff / gearbox please?
I was going to add a Q2 but I was saving my pennies for a bit :cry:
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ta for the interest... and no not really. Garage also think diff knackered but Gearbox Ok. They are dropping it out on Monday so after inspection I will be ordering at least a Quaife diff... if not more :( TBH if I get away with it being just the diff I will be relieved ... just bad timing with cash this month, already spunked over a grand this month on one of my other toys..... Gutted my Bella has let me down...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update...
Diff is knackered, bits in the middle broken off but no damage to anything else... hurrah!
However... gearbox is coming off for a clean & inspection to make sure no bits of the diff went inside.. Boooo!
Bella off the road for a few days... but back on the road soon with an LSD Hurrah!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
every cloud ................ silver lining and all that

could have been a LOT worse Mal..................... was in the plans anyways for one i am sure this just made it sooner

·
Registered
present: Alfa Gtv 3.0 v6 1998; 2008-Present. past: Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA 170 2012; 2016-2021
592 Posts
If you bella could talk it would have just asked for a upgraded diff but as it couldn't it head no choice but to expel the old one.
Best modification you could do to the car. Once fitted you'll be grinning

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for support chaps...
When I ordered the new Quaife today from Autolusso they told me about 1/50 don't wreck the gearbox... so yes very lucky!
Dan, wear & tear no... just a crap diff design that can't take the power. If I buy another V6 the first thing on the "fix list" will be a diff change if not done already. The thought of a £2.5k gearbox bill would be hard to take when a diff swop would be around £900 ish as preventative work.
ATB

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dan, wear & tear no... just a crap diff design that can't take the power.
ATB
I never knew this and I did a bit of research on common problems with the GTV before buying my last one, and this one. Is this a CUP only issue or all GTV V6 ?

I never had an issue with my last GTV, so starting to worry a bit now about impending gearbox doom lol

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I never knew this and I did a bit of research on common problems with the GTV before buying my last one, and this one. Is this a CUP only issue or all GTV V6 ?

I never had an issue with my last GTV, so starting to worry a bit now about impending gearbox doom lol
A Cup is mechanically identical to a 'normal' V6 GTV.

Clive

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Poor design it is only a matter of time if it is driven hard, especially roundabouts at speed. Seems to fail at low speeds when turning out of a junction and putting a bit of power down. Quaife (used to be the Q2) is the best route plus you will notice a positive difference afterwards which will make you wish you had done it sooner (even if your diff has not yet exploded). Lucky it did not take the gearbox down, you would have noticed the loss of oil though...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Crunch time

Had a similar crunch 3 wks ago in my 95 Spider, - 5mph into a car park and kaboom - out of gear, oil on roadway, bag full of nuts and bolts going around like inside a washing machine ........gearbox, ex GTV with mucho mods, & new clutch now installed -ouch!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a similar crunch 3 wks ago in my 95 Spider, - 5mph into a car park and kaboom - out of gear, oil on roadway, bag full of nuts and bolts going around like inside a washing machine ........gearbox, ex GTV with mucho mods, & new clutch now installed -ouch!
Oh dear.. I feel for you...

Dan.. change it NOW! Not joking... Sell the kids / wife whatever & get it done before your wallet is ripped apart as quick as the gearbox...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.