Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next week i'm going on holiday to devon (about 300 miles each way) and, being a tight arse, was just wondering whether cruise control would return better economy or not?

has anyone managed to come up with any conclusive data, or is it just there to give your foot a rest?

cheers :)

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
The only economy using CC has ever brought me was to avoid speeding tickets on ling stretches where my right foot tends too get heavier and heavier.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I tried this on a drive to the South of France - so 1200 miles of evidence. The car was a 2.4 SW, cruising speed, er somewhat higher than the posted limit.

CC definitely got better figures than me over distance. You can do all the "accelerate down hill, back off uphill tricks, but it takes a huge amount of concentration. After a while you are getting it wrong. I found letting the CC work it out was more economical, and let me devote more of my brain to looking out for plod...

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
On our old Volvo, I could usually beat the cruise control if I tried. Having the fuel readout on the constantly changing real-time reading is a handy tool for showing where your are getting high and low figures.

I've never really like cruise anyway to be honest. I always seem to end up going slightly too fast with it and it feels like I'm speeding to the scene of an accident.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
I have just driven to Devon and back, from Manchester, and used CC for 95% of the journey, the principal benefit for me is the ache that I no longer get in my right ankle. I think it is more economical because it is smoother. I still use the accelerator to overtake where something is going a little slower than my pre selected speed but then settle back to cruising speed. I would not be without it.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I used it on the way to Luton from Birmingham - Roughly a 100 mile trip.
Its worth using it for giving your feet a rest and not worrying about the speed you are doing.

Theoretically it should be no different if you kept a constant speed with your right foot. It doesn't draw any more electric and doesn't use a demand direct from the engine as such.

However like others have pointed out you can usually get slightly more by just using the geography of the land. Speeding up when doing down a hill and slowing as you go up a hill.
Or keeping your right foot at a constant amount of throttle and letting the car speed up and slow down when needed.

but to be honest. If you want better mpg I'd whack cruise on a a slightly lower speed than you would normally travel at. As speed doubles air resistance cube's. So while 70mph I got around 38mpg (1.6 TS) if I dropped to 60mph I would get over 45mpg. Which is a considerable saving.

Speed and air resistance on the motorway are the biggest factors.

If you really want to get good mpg. Draft a Lorry and sit at 56mph.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Or lassoo someone tow bar and coast :lol:
I always wanted to design a grapple hook that I could fire at a lorry and coast with it. Obviously I was very young and watched alot of cartoons at the time. But I thought it would save a fair few pennies and a lorry probably wouldnt even notice.

I also had the same throughs when I used to cycle to work but using a rope and plunger.

:cheese:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts