Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I turn on the cruise control on my 2007 Spider BEFORE I start the engine, the light illuminates properly and when I get up to cruising speed, I can engage the cruse control and everything seems to function normally. In other words, no problems.

However, if the cruise control is off when I start the engine to set out on a trip, it will not turn on or engage while I am underway.

Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I haven’t but my cruise control is permanently on.
I will check and report back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely something wrong Mozilla. You do realise that the switch is up for on and down for off?:confused:
No, I did not realize that fact. For many years I've been stumbling along without devoting a lot of effort learning these little niceties.

Here is my rather primitive system for dealing with two position switches:

When I want to invoke a particular function on an automobile (or other device) I simply move a two position switch from one position to the other. In my experience, if one position is off, then the other is on and vice versa. With an indicator lamp or other obvious reaction to use as a guide, it usually doesn't take me too many tries to determine if I'm turning a particular function on or off.

If, on the other hand, I'm expecting a particular reaction and nothing happens when I move the switch to one position, I immediately move it to the other position and observe the response. If nothing happens there, I try, try again. Eventually, after several attempts, if the expected reaction is not forthcoming, I suspect something might be wrong. Normally, this epiphany happens pretty quickly. After all, there are only two positions, right?

Perhaps it's something obvious and sometimes it's not immediately so obvious. For example, if the main headlamps and parking lights are off, moving the front fog light switch will not result in the fog lamps illuminating on most cars. Not all cars mind you, but most. Or, sometimes a fuse is at fault or perhaps a defective bulb is the culprit.

In the case of my cruise control, I haven't yet determined what is wrong. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I tried my cruise control switch in both possible positions more than once. In fact, I may have moved it back and forth more than ten times. Please don't tell anyone about this.

In summary, as a driver licensed for more well over 50 years, this simple approach to things has worked pretty well for me. At the moment I regularly drive two different cars and two different motorcycles as well as a variety of agricultural equipment. I also operate a wide variety of power tools, welders, household lights, stoves, televisions, automatic gate openers, radios, CD players, computers and their associated accessories, etc. In the past I made my living flying fighter aircraft at first and later on, large commercial airliners. In almost every case, these items have one or more two position switches.

I confess that I haven't properly memorized which way is which for most of them except for various aircraft where switch positions are usually standardized to avoid, or at least reduce, any possible confusion. Up until now, I certainly wouldn't have made a bet as to which way was ON for the Alfa cruise control switch.

In spite of this personal shortcoming, I manage to operate all this stuff pretty well, even though from time to time I find myself having to move one of these switches to the opposite position from what I thought was the correct one.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your help. In the future I'll try to remember "up is on" when it comes to the Alfa cruse control switch.

Thank you for your help. :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:lol:
I really enjoyed your post.:D
On my way to work I tested the switch out of curiosity and yes I can turn it on and of while driving and yes on is up.:thumbs:

·
Registered
146 Posts
athough mozella had exceptionally interesting post, ciderphill also has the point. i've met too many stupid people in my life so every detail is worth checking. anyway, we now know for sure that mozella does not fit into this wide before mentioned group! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks,the comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.
However, one of the things that irritates me about the Alfa Cruise Control is that you cannot temorarily cancel it without braking or putting your foot on the clutch. If you come up behind someone in traffic you should be able to kill the cruise function and then just press reset to get back to your desired speed once the obstruction is passed. You could do this on a BMW that I had 10 years ago. Unless of course I haven't been trying enough combinations of button presses?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Tap the brake is easy enough but I agree a cancel function would be nice especially for someone who does not know the car.
The resume function work’s perfectly.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I must admit that if I find I'm catching a queue up in, say, an average speed zone, I slow down by using the cruise control deceleration function and then speed up in the same way if traffic speeds up again.

Clearly, this can't work if cars ahead brake too abruptly, but if it's the normal ebb and flow it seems to work for me.... :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Typical scenario is driving along the motorway with speed set on cruise control. I come up behind slower traffic but cannot pull out to overtake because the overtaking lane is busy. I could slow down using the cruise control reduce speed function but then the speed that I originally set has to be redone. Switching off Cruise Control also means having to set it all up again once I am passed the obstruction. As a result I have to tap the brake. This is unfair on people behind who don't realise that I am not really braking. The solution should be simple and that is to make the button on the end of the Cruise Control stalk a toggle on/off. I wonder if we could get a software update?:lol:

·
Registered
529 Posts
No temporary cancel really annoyed me too. I never tried it on the 159 but on my current Audi A3 the cruise is cancelled by pushing the stalk away from you. To resume cruise control and return to the preset speed you pull the stalk back, a little like flashing your headlights, and the cruise control gently accelerates again.

Cruise will cut out if the brakes are pressed and will resume by again pulling the stalk towards you. On the flip side however, if the clutch is pressed, cruise resumes automatically as soon as the next gear is selected. This caught me out a couple of times in the early days of ownership. I remember once approaching slowing traffic so I engaged the clutch to drop down a gear to slow the car up, however, once the clutch was fully released and the lower gear selected, to my alarm the car began to accelerate to the preset speed again!

I didn't like this system at first but now understanding how it works I actually prefer it.

The cruise in the Audi also works in all gears and not 4th and above like my 159 did. This means if you preset your chosen speed the car will accelerate for you and each time you change gear the car will still continue to accelerate once the gear is selected until your chosen speed is reached. Kinda like poor man's launch conrol!:lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
its annoying, it seems to be present in every other car i have driven with cruise. I'm looking at the possibility to fit an extra small push to break switch on the stalk and running wires down to the clutch switch to achieve this feature. Cant be too difficult. Then again, I havent exactly looked for a switch yet or taken the stalk apart, its on my mental to do list, about number 37 today :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts