Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my cruise control stopped working, the dashboard light comes on but cruise doesn't actually kick in. It come back a day later and worked fine, but then the following day it wouldn't work again and it's not worked again since.

I've got a 600 mile road trip this weekend, London to the Lakes and back so I'd really like it working again.

Any ideas folks?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,176 Posts
Foot brake switch faulty or needs adjusting. Will think of more later.

·
Registered
754 Posts
+1 on brake microswitch.

I bought a spare but never used it as it came alive again after prodding the brake pedal a few times.

Same goes for the stalk switch. My cruise seemed to stop working on a trip a few months ago but one of two methods made it return and I've not had a problem since:

1. Reboot the computer (ie stop, switch off engine and start again)
and/or 2. Wiggle the cruise switching

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,176 Posts
Elearn

Automatic disengagement of the cruise control

The system automatically switches the cruise control off in the following failure conditions:

sensor signal failure which implies the desire of the driver to alter the driving conditions:
accelerator pedal potentiometer
clutch switch
brake switch
brake lights switch
cruise control RECALL button
cruise control SET ring nut
failure with the other system sensors or components:
injection/ignition control unit
engine rpm sensor
vehicle speed
automatic transmission selector lever position (where fitted)
a failure in the control system or the components which lead to an engine malfunction:
turbocharger sensors/actuators (where fitted)
motorized butterfly casing
air flow meter
engine ignition
injectors

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input folks, my 166 was due a service anyway so I mentioned this whilst the car was in at Day & Whites. The issue was with the clutch box, due to wear the clutch pedal isn't returning to its highest point when depressed. The fix - I just have to lift the clutch pedal a touch before using the cruise control, and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I don't know if the clutch switch is mechanically the same as the brake switch on the auto, but if it is, they are self-adjusting. Press the pedal down out of the way, then grab the switch plunger with some grips and pull it down toward the pedal. Don't be too brutal mind! You should hear a ratcheting sound and the plunger will come out further. Release the pedal, job done.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I was getting all manner of ABS/VDC/ASR errors, cruise wouldn't work etc a while back and it was just the brake switch wanting a tweak. The brake lights were fine, but the foot-not-on-pedal part of the switch is more picky.

I think the mechanism would probably best be described as semi-self adjusting actually - you have to pull the plunger out manually so it has something to work with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts