Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Alfa riders!

I've bought an Alfa 147 and directly saw that there is a cruise control handle, but no dashboard light next to the speedometer. As if you couldn't figure out already, the cc isn't working. Switched on and pushing the + knob forward for three seconds, it never did something. I checked the cables, it was attached. I don't have the idea that the cc was installed Afterwards, because I have climate control and every other option, so would be weird if the cruise control wasn't fitted from the beginning right?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It will be that the self-adjusting clutch pedal switch has been pushed in too far, so the car thinks the pedal has been depressed and locks out cruise. This shows up on MES as a clutch pedal fault.

The switch is up above the pedal box, so a bit awkward to get to. Get your head into the wheel well, with a torch. The switch is a bayonet fit in it's mounting, so twist 90deg to release it. Note the orientation as you remove it, as it will only go back that way.

Inspect the switch. The operating rod should protrude ~12mm, yours will probably protrude only a few mm. Grab it with pliers and pull hard, to overcome the internal barbs that set the rod position. Now replace it with the pedal depressed somewhat (awkward). When you release the pedal the switch will self-adjust the rod length correctly and you should have cruise control.

If that doesn't fix it, test the switch with a multimeter and replace if necessary. New switches are about £15-20 via eBay. But 9/10 times it's just the self-adjustment that needs resetting as above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I will have a look somewhere today.

Only thing that still haunts me, there is no dash light. The other dash lights such as handbrake and airbag are visible when off. But there is no CC light to be found..

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The cruise control lights on my two 147s acted differently. On one, an 01-reg, the light came on when the cruise control was switched on, on the other, a pre-facelift 05-reg, it only came on when a speed was set.

(I think I've got them the right way round!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone told me that before, that the light sometimes act differently. But what I mean is that every light has a black 'silhouette' when turned off. You are able to see where they are situated. There is no silhouette for the cc to be found..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be that the self-adjusting clutch pedal switch has been pushed in too far, so the car thinks the pedal has been depressed and locks out cruise. This shows up on MES as a clutch pedal fault.

The switch is up above the pedal box, so a bit awkward to get to. Get your head into the wheel well, with a torch. The switch is a bayonet fit in it's mounting, so twist 90deg to release it. Note the orientation as you remove it, as it will only go back that way.

Inspect the switch. The operating rod should protrude ~12mm, yours will probably protrude only a few mm. Grab it with pliers and pull hard, to overcome the internal barbs that set the rod position. Now replace it with the pedal depressed somewhat (awkward). When you release the pedal the switch will self-adjust the rod length correctly and you should have cruise control.

If that doesn't fix it, test the switch with a multimeter and replace if necessary. New switches are about £15-20 via eBay. But 9/10 times it's just the self-adjustment that needs resetting as above.
You were right, only the few mm. I pulled the rod out and put it in position again. I have to the the cables of my front indicator lights now, then i'll go do a test drive and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Case solved, there is no light. It'll light up in the display where the time and radiostation is displayed. It was indeed a faulty sensor, thanks for the responses!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts