Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm 5 days into ownership of a 1.4MA Lusso and am enjoying every mile.

Previous car was an A4 and I must say most of the 'luxury' features on that car are present in my G.

The only thing so far that I've found different is how the Cruise Control operates. In the A4 once you were on CC you could push the CC stalk away from you and it would cancel CC (e.g approaching slower moving traffic). Once you want to get going again you pull the stalk towards you and the car speeds back up to previous set speed.

I know the resume button will get me back to my previous speed but the only ways I can find to come off CC and have resume available is to brake or press the clutch. I cruise a lot on motorways and have the opinion that if you have to brake you haven't been paying enough attention - am i missing a trick or is this not available on the G?

·
Registered
52 Posts
twist the control stick, the green light goes out, CC is cancelled and your feet are back in control
The only problem with this is that the stored cruise speed is lost - you will have to reset the speed once you have accelerated manually (or nudge the speed back up with the cruise control).

MongrelMike - I had a Passat before the G and the cruise control operated exactly as you describe (and, like you, I try not to use the brake pedal on motorways if I can help it!). I have found no way of cancelling better than very gently and quickly pressing the brake pedal - you can do it so there is no impact on your speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Davidpgreen!

Shame Alfa didn't think to add a proper 'cancel' motion to the cc stalk, but then again I guess their attention wasn't really on the cruising features, rather the driving features! :)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My 147's cc works the same way as the Giulietta's. When I want to cancel, I tap the brake pedal. This also gives any following car a hint that you're going to slow down. I suspect this is the reason why there's no "soft" cancel switch for the CC. I don't really understand the rationale for not showing brake-lights when you're slowing down (you can accelerate freely under cruise control, so there's no need to cancel it if you want to go faster for a bit).

But, if you don't like to give any warnings about what you're doing, you can also push the clutch pedal to disengage the cruise control (you don't have to push it so far that it releases the clutch).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello, you can also slow the car (reduce the cruise speed) by pushing the cruise stalk down and holding it. This will slow the car down. When cruising on the motorway I use this a lot as a means to scrub off speed. I then just push it up and hold it there until I get back to where I wanted to be.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I seriously don't see the problem with pressing the brake for "cancel". Seems quite natural to me.

Then you just press resume afterwards and you're back at the speed you were going.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I never could understand why Alfa's don't have a "pause" function on the same button as the "resume"function - every other car I've driven with cruise control has it. I was never happy having to press the brake pedal to pause the cruise control, as it must be annoying to following drivers; as for pressing the clutch pedal . . .

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There was a big bus holding behind me, and I noticed my brakelights where dim, even thou I touched the pedal, pressed it a bit further and the lights came on. And, not just the top row.
Perhaps your brake light switch needs a slight adjustment on the pedal. Might be worth mentioning it to the dealer when you see them next (1st service all being well) unless it concerns you.
Not noticed this on mine but i will look tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Braking only to disable CC is very poor driving, as far as I'm concerned. You and all following traffic could have slowed down gently by simply releasing the throttle, but instead you are likely to provoke a harsher slowing reaction from the following driver on seeing your brake lights. This cascades down the line of traffic, exaggerating as it goes and if it continues long enough then there is some fairly heavy braking at the back and can cause accidents.

You see this all the time, especially on motorways, and it happens for lots of reasons: poor speed control, tailgating, two-footed automatic drivers resting their foot on it, automatics without the ability to engine brake etc etc, and finally cruise control interruption.

You wouldn't indicate for no reason, so don't show brake lights either.

Finally:

Has anyone else noticed that if you gently tap the brakepedal the brakelight doesnt light up? Not a biggie, but still odd why the brakelights don't show at once you've pressed the pedal.
When I had CC fitted to my 156 (operates in the same way), it didn't work at first because it thought the brake pedal was being pressed. I'm fairly sure my brake lights weren't on all the time - easy to see the high level one at night - so I concluded there were two 'pressed' settings for the switch.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Which is why cruise controls should have a "pause" button!
True, although I've limited sympathy - it's two actions (switch on, and set speed) rather than one (resume)! I am a bit surprised that Alfa have continued with that system ever since the 156, but then again I've driven cars (Astra) where the whole thing has made far less sense to me.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Erm: tried it on the way home last night, "resume" appears to remembers the last speed, even if I switched CC off and on again.

very limited test (30mph zone)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Davidj, tried this a couple of days ago with it set to around 80mph. It didn't seem to resume once switched off and on again but i will have another go on my way home tonight (if the Friday rush hour traffic will let me!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts