Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to retrofit cruise control to my other half's 147 but I don't know how to resolve the following issue.

When I first replaced the stalk I got fault code P0571 - Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit. I cleared the code via the Torque app and cruise control worked perfectly.

The next day cruise control wasn't working again, so I purchased a new OEM brake switch from thealfaworkshop and fitted it yesterday.

Cleared the code via Torque again, and CC worked perfectly.

My SO has just let me know that now cruise control isn't working again. I haven't verified the code but know that it will be P0571 again.

Can anyone give any advice on this? Is there something else that could be causing this code? Should I be resetting the ECU in a different way to clear the code? Or could the brake pedal be adjusted incorrectly providing constant contact with the switch? I'm not sure about the last idea as after clearing the code CC works perfectly.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've had no trouble with the brake switch, but it appears to be very similar to the clutch pedal switch. That is self-adjusting. There should not be a gap between the end of the switch pushrod and the operating tang on the pedal, and if there is, the self-adjustment needs resetting.

You do that by removing the switch, put the switch body in a vice, and yank on the switch pushrod with pliers, until it is fully extended.

Then reinstate the switch with the pedal depressed as far as possible. The switch will then self-adjust correctly when the pedal is allowed to return to the rest position.

I suspect you installed the switch with the pedal in the at-rest position, and the switch pushrod got pushed in a little too far. That means it now isn't adjusted correctly and is throwing a fault code. Try again, as above, clear the fault and it should be OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts