Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today's storms have made me acutely aware that the Giulietta is almost totally unaffected by cross winds of 30 - 60 mph, but most other cars and lorries are shoved about all over the road.

It was bizarre to see litter bins flying past, trees falling down and lorries crossing lanes at random while in an oasis of total calm in the Alfa

someone at Alfa has done a brilliant piece of windtunnel design. bravo and thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah i notice it to on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden (live in Sweden work in Denmark) other cars are a lot more sensitive than my G, its either that or they are sleeping their lives away :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Interesting. I remember as far back as when the Sierra was launched and they had to fit some blades to the rear buttresses (am I making this up?) to improve cross-wind affected stability. That was, presumably, because they were more focussed at achieving class-leading Cd figures.

I drive a number of hire cars through work and a surprising number of them are extremely poor at coping with cross winds (almost all of them, in fact).

Good to know Alfa is doing something right.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Interesting. I remember as far back as when the Sierra was launched and they had to fit some blades to the rear buttresses (am I making this up?) to improve cross-wind affected stability.
No, your memory serves you well SIF, :thumbs:, as this extract from the Sierra's Wikipedia page states :
Wikipedia said:
Early versions suffered from crosswind stability problems, which were addressed in 1985 with the addition of "strakes" (small spoilers), on the rear edge of the rubber seals of the rear most side windows. These shortcomings saw a lot of press attention, and contributed to early slow sales.
Back on track with the OP's post, I find our G a lot more stable than the 159, but then it is a SW and so presents a fair old target to a crosswind, :rolleyes:. I was following my good lady down the motorway the other morning when we were experiencing 100+mph gusts in the region and she seemed to be maintaining a much straighter course than me. Car aerodynamics, or is it just that she has much sharper reactions than me? - Don't answer that! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts