Alfa Romeo Forum banner

When your credit card is blocked for security reasons...

• Damn annoying :mad:

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Really annoying :rant:

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Annoying, but a good thing :rolleyes:

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Not annoying at all. :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other :confused:

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... when you are spending abroad. (But you actually have the money.)

Annoying or good security?

I think it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut
and quite annoying/embarrassing.

3 cards went down on the last trip and I had to spend
quite a bit of time on the phone to get them unblocked.

With one of them, it was Visa and not my bank who'd blocked
the card.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
I have had it happen to me last year when I was in the Philippines.

I told the credit card company when and where I was going, and when I was coming back, but they still declined a transaction and telephoned me shortly after.

The thing I was buying wasn't even expensive. :rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bloody annoying, I always inform my bank when going abroad but have had my cards blocked in Poland once, Czech republic twice and Tunisia once.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Seems they can stop them when it is clearly the cardholder ! but fail to stop them when your account gets cloned with stuff that is quite obviously not been purchased by yourself. at one stage last year I was buying stuff i the US and cyprus only mere hours apart , despite the fact i have never been to cyprus and had been nine months since i had been in the US.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Had this just a few days ago...

And... I was only in North Wales??? :confused:

Still haven't recieved (promised) new card, and I need to order a couple of things from Amazon. :rant:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I was paying a hotel bill in Bejing and it was declined, they tried other card's al declined.
When i spoke to Nat West they informed me that the Hard Rock Cafe in Bejing were still putting transactions through on my card as we were talking, and they blocked all further.
Apparently the culprit's at the Hard Rock were arrested and were told by their Operation's manager that they could face the death penalty due to the scale of their fraud ! :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine went down on my on holiday because the day I left someone decided to try a squillion small transactions with it to test the water, raiding itunes, setting up webpages.

I'm glad they stopped it, mild annoyance but it didn't stop the sun shining on the beach

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a gadget through the post from my bank.

Looks like a calculator.

You have to plug your visa card into it, tap in your
pin and it generates a numeric key and so allows you to perform
any transfers etc via internet banking.

Bit like those RSA devices.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep got one of those two - it's hard not to sound churlish as they're designed to stop people thieving from me but I just find them a bit of a PITA. Why couldn't they find some sort of smart token security which fits on a keyfob like those little RSA devices so I don't have to remember to take my calculatior with me whenever I have to go anywhere where I might want to occasionally access my bank account online :confused:

Yeah, you need gadget, card and PIN to do anything.
Although I suppose you always have your card & PIN with you.

ETRADE offer the straight forward RSA synchronised keys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts