Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
I have a creative Zen MP3, put the latest firmware on it and it works fine in the docking station in the house. Now then I have been trying to get it to work through the USB connector on the car and the radio says no audio source found...I have been using the USB cable from the Zen to the car...

Do I need a phono to USB cable instead....I am not big into MP3's and connecting them up to Mito's....if anyone can tell me how I should do this correctly the information would be appreciated...only trying to fathom the wires for her in doors :)

I've looked in the Blue & Me section on here and nothing specific to the Mito and I don't ever want to own an IPOD :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
All
I have a creative Zen MP3, put the latest firmware on it and it works fine in the docking station in the house. Now then I have been trying to get it to work through the USB connector on the car and the radio says no audio source found...I have been using the USB cable from the Zen to the car...

Do I need a phono to USB cable instead....I am not big into MP3's and connecting them up to Mito's....if anyone can tell me how I should do this correctly the information would be appreciated...only trying to fathom the wires for her in doors :)

I've looked in the Blue & Me section on here and nothing specific to the Mito and I don't ever want to own an IPOD :)
Sorry, I can't help you on this coz I havent gt my car yet haha
but i just wna say, wooohoooo!! finally, I'm not the only 1 that never wants to own an Ipod :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
187 Posts
A couple of tips I think I have picked up, make sure the bitrate of the mp3s are 256 and below, also I think the device needs to be formated as fat16, certainly not ntfs. But I don't know the zen very well to be honest. If you got a mito 1gb stick you could use that, I have and have about a dozen albums on it at 192kbits, plenty to go at and it works a treat...

J.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hi, which format are the songs in on the MP3 player? I know you said you're not really into mp3 players, but this could be very important. The USB reader in the car is only able to read certain song formats, such as mp3, wav, ogg, wma, etc.
Obviously it can read songs in mp3 format, but i'm not sure what else it can read. If you rip your songs from CDs in windows media player, they will probably be in wma format. You need to find out what format they are by browsing the mp3 player on your computer and looking at the file properties. then check the car manual to see it if it accepted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the file formats and bitrates etc....that leads me in the right direction which is great...thank you for that.

Once I get the file standards sorted would I be right in thinking the USB lead from the Creative Zen MP3 should connect into the Blue & Me USB port and just work or do you think I will have to do something with the 3.5mm jack plug and get a jackplug to USB connector....too many wires and possibilities...I might just stick to singing along to the radio.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You just need the usb connetor from the zen to the port between the front seats and it should just work. If it doesn't just work, scroll through the src until you reach the blue&me media player. If my stereo is turned on it just switches to my media player, works a treat!

Did you get a MiTo usb pen?

J.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you on this coz I havent gt my car yet haha
but i just wna say, wooohoooo!! finally, I'm not the only 1 that never wants to own an Ipod :thumbs::thumbs:
You never were. I hate the iPod.
I once had a Creative Zen MP3, it froze everytime I plugged it into the computer and was a pain to transfer songs onto, but it was so much better than the Apple with it's stupid clickwheel and I really don't like Apple as a company either.

If I were in the market for an MP3, I'd take a Walkman; I had one before and it was fantastic. Fortunately, I'm not, because I don't get the train anymore and the 60GB Archos 5 I have works perfectly well with my Mito and I can watch DVDs on it on the plane.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All
no audio source found...I have been using the USB cable from the Zen to the car...
Sounds like the device itself is not being recognized, needs to find the device, then check file format of the disk, then it should read the data on the disk, well that's the standard way storage device work.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You never were. I hate the iPod.
I once had a Creative Zen MP3, it froze everytime I plugged it into the computer and was a pain to transfer songs onto, but it was so much better than the Apple with it's stupid clickwheel and I really don't like Apple as a company either.

If I were in the market for an MP3, I'd take a Walkman; I had one before and it was fantastic. Fortunately, I'm not, because I don't get the train anymore and the 60GB Archos 5 I have works perfectly well with my Mito and I can watch DVDs on it on the plane.
oooh - I have an Archos 5 too and a MiTo due soon - do you just plug it into the USB port with the cable it came with? Does it then work using the steering wheel controls?

Never thought about using that in the car!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bridder
I tried plugging in the ZEN Mp3 after work, I used the USB connector and it activated, however I cannot get any tracks to play out of it, even with trying the SRC and scrolling through th Blue & Me Media....next I guess i will try adjusting the bitrate of tracks on it, incase they are incorrect....the media format is not recognised on the radio display. :-(

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi tumbleweed10, the most common formats from a PC anyway are mp3 or wma, both are fine but protected wmas are a no go, if you ripped from a cd or something did you accept the copyright protection warning? I'd rip them in either format at a reasonable bitrate with copyright protection turned off, 128kbits, 192kbits or 256kbits, also does your Zen show up in explorer as a drive? If so what is it formatted as? Fat16, Fat32 or NTFS?

good luck,
J.

·
Registered
187 Posts
oooh - I have an Archos 5 too and a MiTo due soon - do you just plug it into the USB port with the cable it came with? Does it then work using the steering wheel controls?

On yeh, and with voice commands!

J.

PS. I am making an assumption here that it works just like my usb pen drive, no reason to think otherwise as Ubizzle seems over the moon with his...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Yep. Just plug it in as it comes; I use mine all the time. Also, yes it does work through the steering wheel. It replaced the MP3CDs for me and holds tons of music.
Haven't tried using voice controls; can't say for certain, although the media player menu on the car is horribly clunky... Just make a new playlist in Windows Media Player every week I'd suggest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, you can use tracks in 320kb. Some usb sticks work others do not i.e. I have a samsung yp stick but it did not register media on car console but i also tried a logik stick, pc world , with same tracks and this works fine. Alfa should set up a compatilbilty list

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tumbleweed10, I'm sorry to say I'm in the same position as you. B&M won't recognise my Zen Touch either, even with the "Plays for Sure" drivers. Research around the various forums indicates that the only Creative product that B&M will work with is the Zen Stone.

That said, if you find a way to get it to work I'd love to hear it, you're not the only one who will never buy an iPod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts