Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would someone go about making their 156's wheels sit that ittle bit further out, to fill the arches?

annoyingly enough, im thinking of going for 18" wheels as the 17" look tiny compared to some i have seen on here that fill the arches properly, only trouble is going to 40 profile tyres, less comfort, but thats a different story.

what could i do to widen the track? arch rolling? wheel spacers? different offset/wider tyres?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
To give the car a wider stance, you really need either hub-centric spacers (to keep the wheels located onto the hub and not centralised and supported soley by the wheel bolts) and longer wheel bolts. The other option is to use wheels of a smaller offset. In other words, an offset in the region of 25-30mm.

Be aware that when doing this, you reduce the negative offset radius of the front geometry. This will cause the car to tramline more, hook up with the central white line very noticeably, be less stable under heavy braking, be more sensitive to tyre pressures, adverse tyre wear and geometry imperfections due to wear and tolerances. The less the offset/wider the spacers/wider the wheels the more this effect will be pronounced.

I'd suggest an 8" rim is the likely maximum rim width along with 225 tyres. Obviously, there is room for more, but as you are moving the car in a more performance orientated direction, note that stability and stability over bumps will be reduced. If you go larger than my suggestions, you will notice a significant change to steering weight and responce. If you went for a 9" rim or a <20mm offset or 20mm spacers, I'd be thankful the car isn't mine, but the wheels would fill out the arches.:rolleyes: It would still be fine on smooth roads though.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great advice. thankyou.

so according to your tolerances, if i was to go for the cheap option, ie hubcentric spacers, i could still retain most of the stability if i went for a max of say 10mm at the front and 15mm at the rear? i have a 7" rim at the moment, with 215 width, 45 profile.

would it be generally "safe" to do this? im thinking i may have to adjust the damping at the front at least, to avoid smacking the arch inner rim with spacres on.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
You'd need longer wheel bolts as well don't forget.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm...spacers x4 and wheel nuts would cost £100ish..

8j, 18" wheels the same as mine with Kumho ditchfinders cost £679, with me getting a max of £300 for my wheels...

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Kumhos are good, they make a lot of tyres for rally and track racing cars. I've used loads of them and they are brilliant, my mate with 330d swears by them as well.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh, i cant really say anything, i havent used Kumho's. its just a term ive heard and has stuck in my head. Falken ze512's however, are crap in the wet.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
What wheels/tyres do you have at the moment?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
team dynamics pro race 1.2 17", satin black colour, and "enduro" almost-budget 215/45/17 tyres! heh, and there was me saying kumhos were ditchfinders. i have a set now!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
aziraphale, youi'll be fine with your suggestion. That way you won't need to start swapping tyres and wheels.

How do you rate the Kumhos?

The ZE512s are crap anytime.:lol:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont have kumhos at the mo, its just what ive heard.

the ze512's i found fine in the dry, fitted to a 175bhp rs2000 orion, and i couldnt unstick them in the dry, but my god were they terrible on a damp road...

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
team dynamics pro race 1.2 17", satin black colour, and 215/45/17 tyres
What offset are those?

I have the std 6.5"x16" ET40 with 205/55R16 and 15mm spacers.

I havn't rolled the arches and they are as close as you can run without (ie a 16mm spacer would need the arches rolling with the same rims...)

FYI, they end up with the outer edge of the tyre 1mm further out than GTA 7.5x17 ET35 with 225/45R17

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Try the inside of the wheel (hub side). Is your car lowered?

The thing you're looking for is the 'ET' and then a number.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What offset are those?

I havn't rolled the arches and they are as close as you can run without (ie a 16mm spacer would need the arches rolling with the same rims...)

FYI, they end up with the outer edge of the tyre 1mm further out than GTA 7.5x17 ET35 with 225/45R17

These should sit 2.5mm further in than the GTA alloys.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi, yes, the car is lowered 10mm over its standard veloce spec. 35mm from a non-veloce/sportpack 156.

will check the wheel tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,392 Posts
What offset are those?

I haven't rolled the arches and they are as close as you can run without (ie a 16mm spacer would need the arches rolling with the same rims...)

These should sit 2.5mm further in than the GTA alloys.
Just checked my original drawing I did to calculate clearance and it was 1mm further out than the GTA rims with 225/45 tyres.
That was using overall dimensions from Toyo.
The exact difference will vary slightly between different makes of tyres.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
checked my wheels, and they seem to be ET35. thats the only number i can see on them other than "7jx17", just a raised plaque with "35" on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts