Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise how common this is and theres normally an easy fix which I'm going to try this weekend. (Wheels off, spray bushes with silicone).
The upper fronts are relatively new, as are the drop links but the reason for my post is that its started creaking specifically after I went round a roundabout at a speed that maybe I shouldn't have.
To make matters worse, it doesn't always creak over bumps and holes but it's more evident at low speeds and very much steering input related...particularly left hand down. I've already sprayed the steering column with little effect.
I also sprayed the bottom bushes, or what ever I could see that looks like a Bush with the wheels on, in this godforsaken rain. Better weather for a better look this weekend. Made No difference.

Car feels tight enough but I'm worried I've done something to the actual steering rack and related mechanicals.

Any ideas/input!?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Depends exactly where it comes from.
Upper wishbone bush creaks are from suspension movement alone and seem to come from behind the dashboard.
Lower wishbone ballhoint creaks are hard to place but seem to have as much to do with suspension movement as anything.
ARB D bush creaks are from suspension movement alone but it only happens with polyurethane bushes.

2 years ago my car had a bad creak from a lower wishbone balljoint. I left it alone and it ended after the warm summer weather.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a tough one to call. As you say, its difficult to pin point the noise down to a specific area.
It's there when I'm driving along on a normal road, and at stand still when turning the wheel lock to lock.
It's not there on an undulating road when I would have expected it
Its definitely front off side corner though

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Even relatively new TRW uppers can creak quickly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hopefully you wont mind me posting in to your thread, but I have similar issue with my gt, which started around the time I had the upper wishbones changed. Symptoms are the usual creaking, but only when turning right, and also where the angle of the road is not even, i.e. downhill right-turn or uphill right-turn. Doesnt really do it on the straight road. I was suspecting the spring on right side, or upper damper mounting, but I had it checked and all is fine. Did a bit of front overhaul 1.5 year ago, basically everything except dampers and springs was done back then, so thats why im inclined its that, but seriously baffled now as they seem ok.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully you wont mind me posting in to your thread, but I have similar issue with my gt, which started around the time I had the upper wishbones changed. Symptoms are the usual creaking, but only when turning right, and also where the angle of the road is not even, i.e. downhill right-turn or uphill right-turn. Doesnt really do it on the straight road. I was suspecting the spring on right side, or upper damper mounting, but I had it checked and all is fine. Did a bit of front overhaul 1.5 year ago, basically everything except dampers and springs was done back then, so thats why im inclined its that, but seriously baffled now as they seem ok.
Does it happen at standtill when turning steering lock to lock?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it happen at standtill when turning steering lock to lock?
There is "some" creaking when turning when stationary, but its not the type of creak I described. Stationary creaks equals to lower wishbones detetoriation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts