Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After resolving my main noise (which turned out to be bubble wrap on rustling on the loom above the roof console) the screen creak is more evident and its getting worse.

I have used Rubber abd Nylon Lubricant, which is a trike type spray that my friend, who has a large bus finishing business, gave me, its what they use to install the windows on the buses to ease the rubbers.

This is pretty useless and doesnt make much of an impact, furthermore, any impact it does have is gone in a day or two.

Has anyone tried anything that actually works?

If I cant get it resolved, I might need to get a warranty job, as passengers notice it too, which is quite embaressing, so much so that I have taken to farting to cover the noise up.

If there isnt a good fix, I'll pop into a dealer and get them to look at the paint too.:p

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My car got greased with some type of silicone grease. That was some time back and it seems ok for now. Dealers have been advised by Alfa Technical.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use silicone spray. It says on the can that it can be used to protect rubber and paint, so I can be sure that it doesn't harm both.
It's hard to say how long it lasts, because when it starts it's very subtle and off course I don't wait until it becomes annoying again.
So I refresh it as soon as I think there could have been a tiny little creak, which is about after 1 - 2 months.
I think it lasts longer if you treat the part of the roof where the rubber lays on with wax-polish before you apply the lubricant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to get hold of a PFPE (Perfluoropolyether) lubricant. There are a couple of maunufacturers - Fuchs Lubritech & IKV Tribologie the trade name is Carbaflo & IKV-FLUOR.

These products were specifically developed for automotive trim squeaks etc. They chemically bond to rubber & plastic giving a permanent fix.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My creak is back:( When it goes into Guest's for the creaky clutch and crappy 2nd to 3rd gearchange, I'll ask then to re-grease it for me.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
screen refit is the permanent fix I'm afraid :( - might take 2 attempts though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
screen refit is the permanent fix I'm afraid :( - might take 2 attempts though :rolleyes:
Several people on here have said the same, had it done, quiet for a while and then back with a vengeance:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bit of a tangent - but thought it might be rear screen after reading this, however - I've got a squeak in my 159 which comes from the back end somewhere (oo-er) but on closer inspection, found the spare wheel is not only sat in the metal bodywork of the boot floor, but is also encased in a polystyrene moulded 'case' - which when I push it about, makes exactly the noise so I guess that's sorted. However, how in gawds name do I stop that squeaking? Polystyrene - encasing rubber - jammed into a metal hole? Gonna be there for good unless anyone has any great soundproofing ideas?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Used silicon spray on mine then had screeen replaced and hasn't since returned.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Mine went in today. Deemed to be the rear view mirror so that was stripped, lubricated and reassembled. Seems OK so far:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was really worried today, I had a metallic knocking noise coming from the centre dash and I thought it was coming from behind the 3 air vents. I couldn't believe it after finally sorting my other rattle.

When I parked up I had a quick look. It turned out that the metal Alfa logo on the key ring had turned up and was knocking on the end of the key while I was driving.

I was actually embarassed at myself :lol:

Oh yee of little faith huh.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts