Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through many threads on Brera Steering racks, but I cant work out the answer to a couple of questions - perhaps some AO members can advise ?

PROBLEM - My current Brera 3.2 is an 06 with 50k on the clock. Never had any major problems. But over past month or so, I've noticed a distinct creaking type noise come from the bowels of the engine bay, possibly on the offside area, which only occurs when moving at 2 or 3 mph and turning the wheels to the left and/or going over a slight bump in the road like the half inch concrete lip turning into my drive. (It doesn’t seem to occur if steering to the right and moving equally slowly)

QUESTIONS :-

- is this actually the rack starting to go ?

- or is it possibly (hopefully) just something loose on one side of the rack, or a worn or rusty track rod end / ball joint ?

- If this is the rack, will it "suddenly" let go in someway, or can I continue to drive it for another month ?

Any advice appreciated !

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got this on my 159. My indie found that a rubber gaiter had come off or hadn't been replaced properly on one side. He cleaned up and repacked the end/ball joint and the noise has lessened but not gone away completely. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but it's not the end of the world if the rod end needs replaced.

BTW the stealers will tell you that you have to replace the whole rack which is b*****ks. You can get replacement parts from a number of places.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got this on my 159. My indie found that a rubber gaiter had come off or hadn't been replaced properly on one side. He cleaned up and repacked the end/ball joint and the noise has lessened but not gone away completely. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but it's not the end of the world if the rod end needs replaced.

BTW the stealers will tell you that you have to replace the whole rack which is b*****ks. You can get replacement parts from a number of places.
------------------

Did this cure the problem, or merely delay the symptoms leading up to an eventual rack replacment ?

------------------

I found an older thread where someone describes the same solution as you have. Checkout the post dated 23-09-2009 by 'metalgod23' and download the picture of his track-rod end ball joint :-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...75-cracking-from-steering-at-full-lock-2.html

pic :-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16657

Looks like I'll be jacking up the front to take a look this weekend pre-armed with moisture repellent grease …

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
Did you find a solution to this issue?
I have the same issue, I can only hear it when turning the wheels to the left while going over a slight bump in the road like the half inch concrete :).
I had everything checked last night to my mechanic, and nothing is loose under the car (bolts, rod end, joins etc) He could hear it as well but did not find anything.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had it on my 06 Brera last year at 26,000 miles.
As already mentioned, re-packing inner track rod ends with grease cured problem.
Now have them re-packed at annual service.
If needed, new ones aren't particularly expensive at an indie.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The squeak on mine was a seizing lower balljoint. Ended up changing the whole lower arm.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
The squeak on mine was a seizing lower balljoint. Ended up changing the whole lower arm.
Yep, suffered the same on my 159, replaced the lower wishbone.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I had the steering rack ends & track rod joints replaced on my Brera recently. Others were rusted to ****:(

Silence is now golden :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same on my '09 159Ti - turned out to be a worn ball joint that had lost all its lubrication. Unfortunately it's attached to the lower wishbone and they don't come as a separate unit so it turned into a £320 job done by MVC Manchester (who I highly recommed by the way). All replaced and squeek free now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts